Water behind liner after heavy rainfall!

SteveY

May 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, we moved into a new home with a IG pool and yesterday we had a heavy rain storm and today I look out to see the liner pushed out all over the place. I have read several posts regarding this and I wanted to see if I am doing this right. We have drains in the cement around the pool and also ther is a pipe coming into the pool shed witha valve called "sump". According to the plans this sump line goes down near the main drains. The pool level is very high so I am pumping the water out using the waste valve. I opened the sump valve assuming this sucks water via the sump line while pumping out the waste line? Can someone tell me if I'm doing this right?

Thanks

image.jpg

Last week we had the pool company that installed the pool come out and fix our liner issues.
He did a great job of resetting the liner even getting a crease out of the shallow end that was there when we moved in.
Well a week later and the liner has shifted and it appears to have some more water behind it again!
I am at my wits end. I had to pay $440 for this repair and I'm not about to keep putting this out each time it rains out!
Would it be worth putting in a well point/sump off the edge of the pool deck?

One simple rule of physics is...water seeks its own level. If the water level in the pool is higher than the water level in the ground, the weight of the water will keep the liner in place. Once the ground water level reaches the level of the pool, the liner then has no weight on it. If the ground water exceeds the level of the water in the pool the liner will appear to float as the water in the pool will want to rise up to the level of the ground water. It does not take much height over the pool level to do this. The last thing you want to do is pump any water out of the pool. Any water you pump out of the pool will simply be replaced by the ground water behind the liner.

I am going out on a limb here and assuming the sump line goes to a well point somewhere around the outside of the pool. It seems to me that closing the pool lines and opening only the sump line to pump to waste is the answer. However, if the waste line simply goes onto the ground you gain nothing as the water will simply go back to doing what it was doing before. Hopefully, the waste line goes to an area below the pool level or to a storm drain of some sort.

I think danpik has it figured out. Has the water receded behind your liner? I have a feeling your sump line penetrates the pool shell wall and is sucking water from outside your pool.

This may sound weird, but you may have to put water intentionally behind the liner in your shallow end to get rid of the wrinkle. Wrinkles don't move once there is no water behind them.

If there is still some water under them, get in and slowly push the liner back towards the wall/bottom junction with your feet (tennis shoes can help), a squeegie, or a new plunger.

Best wishes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, in the last week or two we have had so much rain my pool is so screwed! I don't know where to turn, but I know I'm not going to keep calling the pool company out every other week to fix my pool. They told me there is nothing you can do for ground water (probably because they want the service calls!). I think that the water coming from my eaves trough down pipes is coming down and in by the pool. We live in a 2 storey walk out so the back yard is really low to the road in front. My sump pit in the house doesn't even get any water coming in the big O pipe during all these rain falls. It's sooo frustrating having a nice back yard with a pool that I can't even use, I may as well fill it in. I'm going to try and get some local contractors in to look at my situation and see if they have a solution.

OP, I had a very similar situation with my pool. Anytime we had a heavy rain, my liner would float.

I initially found a band-aid. I found a spot around the pool where I could access the water. I then purchased a $10 PVC well point, the kind with holes in it, and a $300 pump from lowes. I tapped the well point into the ground, stuck a hose in the well point and started pumping the water out. After 20 mins or so, the liner would go back in place, with no wrinkles.

Heres my thread when I was going through this, and how I solved my problem: (UPDATE)Possible Cause of Liner Floating

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.