Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter pool tile cleaning methods

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter pool tile cleaning methods

Hi All.
    It is now winter in the desert and I have lowered the water level below my tiles.
    I would like to do some preventive maintenance and clean the tiles which have built up some calcuim/lime staining between the tiles in the grout as well as some on the tiles.

My plan is to do a acid/water wash with the green scrubby pads and make the mixture strong enough to bubble it away. I don't think that any sprayer bottle would work as it would distroy the pump. Any suggestion on your methods you have used to cleean the tiles and grout lines?

Thanks,
    Iggy in the cool part of Arizona 8)
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter pool tile cleaning methods

I've tried allot of different cleaners to remove hard water deposits that have accumulated on my tiles, the best thing I found was a pumice stone and some elbow grease.

I also live in Arizona but I've never found the cool part, just where is that???
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have sprayed diluted muriatic acid to clean brick, and the spray bottle held up fine. Acids don't eat plastic or you couldn't store them in plastic jugs.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

When we bought the house, the tile had a lot of buildup. It was expensive but I hired a franchise called Tile Savers to sandblast the tile clean. Worked great. Took them 4 hours and $800!
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

My plan is to do a acid/water wash with the green scrubby pads and make the mixture strong enough to bubble it away
    JohnT is, of course, correct about acid not reacting with plastic. If I'm not mistaken, I think you will find the 3M scrub pads will be eaten. I seem to remember using them in an acid wash application and they didn't hold up well.

Most "deck" brushes are acid-resistant (not the nylon ones but the natural bristle ones) and will give you enough abrasive action to compliment the chemical reaction of the acid.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The only way to clean the white bath tub ring is to have it done
    professionally. They will use glass beads to blast off the calcium, this is the only
    process that really works.

If you don't want the white ring then you will have to reduce the calcium in the
    water. There is a company in Phoenix(might be elsewhere) called Calsaway.
    They have a process that removes the calcium from your pool water and will keep the
    white ring form coming back.

I tried some rather expensive products that did nothing. Don't bite on the pool store
    trying to sell you any of these products, they just don't work.

Cliff s

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Two products have good success on Hilton Head Island (the service companies there). One is the Bio Dex 300, and the other is the Poolboy product which mixes with Muriatic acid. The latter is referenced somewhere else on this forum. Good luck.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

They will use glass beads to blast off the calcium, this is the only
    process that really works.
    Muriatic acid will eliminate calcium deposits when used in the correct strength.

"Correct strength" is the caveat......incorrect strength can also eliminate your fingers!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Very useful to us newbies, thanks.