Beach entry pool-silver quartzite tiles with water seepage problem

macdee

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2013
Southern CA
Hi- I'm back :) Moved (left lagoon style pool behind) and just finished building 40k+gal beach entry pool. We used the quartzite tiles to blend in the beach entry and raised bond beam area. Didn't realize there would be a seepage problem with the grout until pool filled. I don't like the way it looks and complained to PB. He said we can wait till after swim season and we can drain it down some to seal the grout then. Does this sound like a good idea, and would it effect the pebbletec being dried out for few days? Thank you for any input! Here's couple of pix of the problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 322
I doubt sealing the grout will work at all. The water will migrate up and underneath any sealer you put on it. It might help but I would not be surprised if it does nothing. Unfortunately, I can think of no way to prevent it.

I'll explain what I meant. I have pewter colored grout that matches my plaster. I sealed it with an enhancer that made it darker, better matching the wet plaster. Not a cheap sealer either, Dupont's Stonetech Pro solvent based. It lasts about 3 months, the the grout eventually returns to the unsealed color.

Oh! I guess I should wait until after swim season and ask PB again. Wish they used a white grout instead of the gray then it wouldn't have been noticeable. My landscaper used white on the stone on the driveway and it looks the same when wet, not darken like the gray. Oh hey, new question- how complicated would it be to change out the top layer of grout?

Someone posted on sealing their stone with Dry Treat - would that work on the grout? And does that darken the stone with the wet look- like the pieces in the water? I don't want to darken the "dry" portion of the beach entry that extends into the deck so best not to seal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking this over again, I don't think it would bother me at all, especially on the beach entry. I kind of like it there. The walls, maybe I can see that a little, but it wouldn't ruin my enjoyment I don't think.

Well Patrick, I was letting your comment sink in- maybe i'll just get used to it and enjoy. Then today the pool maintenance guy (not ready for hubby to take over) shows up using powder acid to clean the lime or whatever on the beach entry. And he says- didn't they seal this? WAAH :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.