Help understanding TA?

May 19, 2015
Nacogdocbes, Tx
Adjusting PH requires knowing at least your TA level. Then plug you numbers into the Pool Calculator and see what it says. For large PH changes it is best to add about half of what it recommends, give it half and hour to an hour to mix in, test PH again, and continue adjusting from there.

I'm trying to understand water chemistry. What does 'TA' stand for?

I'm seeing it in all of my searches. I am trying to lower the ph considerably in a ~6000 gallon above ground pool.

Thank you. :)

Re: How to lower PH

I'm trying to understand water chemistry. What does 'TA' stand for?

I'm seeing it in all of my searches. I am trying to lower the ph considerably in a ~6000 gallon above ground pool.

Thank you. :)

TA - Total Alkalinity

Total alkalinity indicates the water's ability to buffer PH changes. Buffering means you need to use a larger quantity of a chemical to change the PH. At low TA levels, the PH tends to swing around wildly. At high TA levels, the PH tends to drift up.

You can raise TA with baking soda. It is often best to make large TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each one, as adding large quantities of baking soda can raise the PH a little and you don't want the PH going out of range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.