Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
In the wee hours this AM, chem geek made his 10,000th post. :party::party:

That's a milestone for a couple of reasons.

1. 10,000 posts is a ton of effort over a long time and indicates a dedicated, contributing member

2. It's an even bigger milestone because of chem geeks very special knowledge he brings to the forum.

chem geek and I knock heads every now and then but I will tell you I have never met a more sincere person or a person that has contributed more to the technical aspects of what we teach.

The FC/CYA chart is a chem geek credit. He didn't just copy the chart but rather did the math and calculations to make the chart possible.

Each time we need a detailed explanation of chemistry, he is on the spot with precision and acumen that is untouched. Much of what we teach is a direct result of his (and JasonLion's) contributions.

I hope the rest of you will chime in and stop to remember how important his contributions to this forum are. I am going to keep my thoughts brief but I hope this thread is ongoing for the rest of the day......maybe into tomorrow.

Thanks, Richard!:goodjob:

Reactions: Kathy Bailey
That IS a huge accomplishment, because his posts are generally lengthy. One of his is easily worth twenty of mine.

You all do know that he was the model for this, right? :joker:

attachment.php

Reactions: Kathy Bailey
Ok, since it's been mentioned, I have a confession to make. chem geek is my hero!
:)

There are only a handful of people in the world that I have the same respect for, as I do Richard. The guy rocks and that's all there is to it!

If it weren't for his scientific analysis and attention to detail, I probably would not have become a mainstay here at TFP.
I love science and whether I understand it or not, I firmly believe in it, and if you can't prove it to me, then its just water off another ducks back.
Richard proved it, and for that, I and I'm sure 1000s of others are grateful.

10,000 posts, and with the detail he involves, I would imagine on average 15 minutes per post (conservatively) to type and link, and calculate and post.

Thats conservatively 150,000 minutes, 2,500 hours, 104.16 24 hour days... it's mind boggling the time and knowledge he has given us.

Richard,... Thank You!

Congrats on the milestone ChemGeek!!!

And thank you for your contributions. Your posts were some of the first that I saw when I came on here with a hazy pool and I remember many of your posts verbatim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lurked on TFP and the PoolForum for years. ChemGeek's work should be required reading for anyone interested in pool water chemistry and his cool and crisp writing style brings a level of scientific rigor typically only found in the best scientific journals. His willingness to field questions and correct rookie mistakes in chemistry is a testament to his sincerity and dedication.

Congratulations and THANK YOU!!

:whoot: Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment. :goodjob:

While admittedly many of your posts fly right over my head, the chemistry details you bring are what gives this method legs to stand on. And for that we THANK YOU!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. Thanks everyone. I had no idea I had just passed that 10,000 post milestone. I appreciate all of your sentiments/comments. I learn a lot as well and I also make the occasional mistake and though I often discover and recover before someone catches it, I appreciate when James and others find it or add additional info (preferably from scientific papers in respected peer-reviewed journals, of course :D). There are so many people that contribute to this forum in so many different ways, but there are others such as Jason and Mark and onBalance and ... (many others so no offense if not listed) who have spent a lot of time building up a vast database of knowledge and facts here on this forum.

Chemistry is my main focus, but there is so much more needed in building and maintaining a pool including electrical, pumps, and plaster, let alone comparing brands. No one person could possibly be an expert in all such areas so this is very much a team effort. And this is just the scientific foundation -- the vast majority of pool owners don't care about that nor want to know about it so there are many people here who translate the core into easy-to-understand and easy-to-implement guidelines that are both practical and useful.

And Dave is to be credited for keeping this place civil. So many forums and other online groups devolve into shouting matches or inappropriate content. Keeping this place friendly is a big part of its success.

So again, thank you.

chem geek: You, sir, are a steely-eyed scientist! :testkit:

10,000 posts...there's currently only 8 members in that elite club. What I find just as remarkable as his in-depth knowledge on all things chemistry-related is his zen-like demeanor. He will stay with a user who is really trying to resolve a problem but, for whatever reason, seems to be stuck in neutral. In addition, he will educate someone who is making false statements and do it in such a way that does not come off as condescending. Of course, we all enjoy the occasional post where he puts a particularly recalcitrant member in their place.

Of all the articles/links I have referenced in my posts, I'm willing to bet that the Chlorine CYA Chart is probably the one I've referenced the most. Pool owners that understand this one concept will avoid a majority of problems that plague those who don't.

Divin Dave said:
The guy rocks and that's all there is to it!
I'll second that!

Thank you Richard for all your contributions to the world of pool management. Look forward to continuing to see you on the forum!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.