Is a 7 y.o. used Doughboy a good deal at $150? 14'x42"?

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
I just looked on Craigslist and saw a used Doughboy 14'x42" above ground pool of course needs liner and pump. It's a 3 hour drive from my house, but a nice drive. The man doesn't know the style name. He said the metal is worth the price of $150

We were looking at an `18'x42" size but figured maybe this is a way to get our feet wet for a first pool. We have a Doughboy dealer 45 mins from us so we could get parts

The pool is dismantled-metal wall is rolled tight, all parts except for a few screws are there. Ladders there too. Part of the ladder is that stair like one-looks like a good quality one. All I would have to do is load on a trailer. I recognized the pattern on the pool as one I saw at the doughboy dealer. It was tan faux wood panel. We plan on making a day trip to hot springs near by, check pool quality and if ok load up and drive home. If it not good we had a day at the hot springs.

One think he mentioned was there is a crease in the metal wall but when it's erect it didn't effect the pool holding water. Any thoughts on this wrinkle?

You're taking a huge gamble when they are already torn down. I'd rather tear one done than have one already to go. I want to know every part is there once I hand the money over.

My Doughboy is 20 years old, I picked it up from the back of a barn in a pile. Part of it was melted in a FIRE! I sent an email to Doughboy and in a couple days had an original set of installation instructions. I put the thing up by myself and this will be my third summer with it - swam in it last Friday. $150 isn't even a good grocery trip, do it!

-Annie the Enabler

We purchased a used 15 year old 28' Doughboy last year off of Craigslist for $1000. It had already been taken down, lying in a shed covered in red clay. It was a shot in the dark but having owned a Doughboy years ago I was willing to take the chance because they are great pools. When we met with the people that had it we talked to them a long time and just had a good vibe they were good honest people. Luckily we were right and we're on summer #2 with it. Here's a picture of after it was put up and the dirty mess before:
library

Attachments

• Pool-1.jpg
    Pool-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 124
  • pool 5.jpg
    pool 5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 123
Thanks all, I have doughboy researching for instructions. So far they thought it might be a Lowmart made by them also. Though I distinctly saw the same side wall pattern at doughboy dealer. I made arrangements for an open utility trailer and he will meet me at the main highway. I am getting a good vibe from him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We bought our doughboy used for twice that, put a new liner and top rails on and this is our 2nd season we love it. I did manage to put a couple small creases in the wall durring installation and until reading this post, forgot all about them, you cant even tell where they were at. Also if you need parts ive found midwest pools (mwpools.com) have most lomart parts that are the same as doughboy at very reasonable prices.

About a month ago I saw a Doughboy for sale on Craigslist, a big beautiful oval. Somebody had told this guy that ABG pools couldn't be moved so he took an ax to it and ripped holes through the wall in several places to "let the water out" and he was selling it for parts. The pool was almost identical to mine so I wrote him an email...then deleted it because I realized I wouldn't be able to deal calmly with anyone who who would trash a nice pool like that.

Good luck with your new pool project Tere, it will be frustrating at times but so worth it in the end! ...and if you need parts keep cruising CL/ebay and they will appear!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.