Need a recommendation on a pool timer.

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All, I need a recommendation on a pool timer, mine does not have one, given the cost to run these things I am quite surprised. I have researched amazon and see the same pool timer that my dad had in the 80's. That's not to say it's bad, great reviews. But just wanted to know if anyone would do something different, newer given the opportunity.

The setup I have is a pool and hot-tub combo. I might someday want to run the pump and filter for just the hot tub in the winter and so a switching feature for freeze protection would be a nice to have. My current setup has just that, a temp protector, no timer, and a 3 way flip swich: On, Off, and a middle which I assume is off until the temp protection is kicked on.

If I already have the temp sensor, I wonder if there is a way to wire it in Boolean logic such that if the timer OR the sensor trips, the pump turns on.

This is my current setup, any recommendations?

Controls.jpg

This is what I am considering, but has no temp setting.

Amazon.com : INTERMATIC INC T104P3 TIMER INDOOR/OUTDOOR 220V PLAS : Watering Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden

or

Intermatic T104 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch - Intermatic Timer - Amazon.com

+1 on theET1105C. Its a digital timer and has a ton of functions and has built in freeze protection.
You can connect both your spa and pool to it and can run a ton of schedules if you want to.

By the way, the T104 you linked to is not rated for outdoor. The outdoor model is the T104R.

Thanks, the ability to run the spa is nice. I was going to eventually look for a timer for that. My hot tub runs on the same pump as the pool for filtering, but has a separate pump for the jets. I assume I am 220, but how can I be sure?

Ok, I have been flipping the switch for the last few months, this was not a major priority but it has become one. It is powered by a 220 breaker.

So help me understand, looking at my picture in the first post, I have that 3 position wall switch, down is off, middle is off (I assume freeze protector thingy above on) and top is on. Because I can flip this to all the way off, I really don't want to use the mechanical timer as I will have to reset the time each time I accidentally cut the power completely or just need to shut it off right?

So if I hook up the electrical timer which has batteries, and accidentally switch it to the down(off) position, I assume it will still keep the time and I don't need to reset it. Right? and likewise in the all the way on position, if this cuts power to the timer, I assume it will still keep the time.

I guess what I am asking, with this setup, for those reasons above, I have to get the electrical timer, yes?

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.