Too big??

MGood

May 31, 2015
Eldridge Iowa
Hi..I'm new to the thread and need some advice. We are looking at doing a 18x46x 20x40 L shape pool. We have 5 kids and want a deep and separate shallow end for volleyball and game area. We are doing underliner steps that will take up 4 feet in the shallow area, so that leaves 36 feet off playing area? I'm getting nervous because everyone keeps telling us that is a huge pool. Now I'm thinking we should make it smaller. Any suggestions???

The only issue with having large pool is the $$. At first it is more expensive to build. Then after that more chemicals, and higher electric bill. We built a large pool for my area and EVERY sub that came out mentioned the size of it. Ignore what everyone says they don't know what you want or need.

An average large pool in my area is 18x36 around 16k gallons

My pool is a freeform "lap pool" 50x17 (17 feet being the average the widest point is 22 and narrowest 10)

I'd say if it's in your budget, go for it! ..... and post pics when it's done! I'd love to see that one. Our pool is rectangular 16 x 40. We wanted straight sides as to not interfere with swimming laps, and also be able to play games (volleyball). It's 7' at the deep end, but we don't dive. Last weekend we had about 12 people over for Memorial Day with no problem. Works well for us, but you know your family's demands better than anyone, so go with what your gut tells you. If you can afford the construction of a pool this size, chances are a little more chlorine or couple bucks a day in electricity isn't going to phase you. Sounds like a heck of a project. Good luck!

We are in the middle of construction on a 42x16 27x18 true L and everybody that has been over has told us its huge.

Then the next sentence out of their mouths is its going to be awesome.

Do what makes sense for you and your family.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone! We marked it off in our yard today and I think we have decided on 18x42x18x38. It seems like plenty of room for our family. We meet with the pool place on Wednesday and hope to have it finalized by the end of the week. I need to ask suggestions on pumps. One place recommended 1hp and the other 1 1/2. We are going with salt water because I'm worried about our blonde hair. I have never owned a pool and I'm overwhelmed with hoping I don't make a bad choice I will regret later.

If you stick with us here at TFP you cannot go wrong.

Blonde hair + copper is a big problem! It is not the chlorine that turns hair green.

Salt Water is still a chlorine pool. You just add less as the salt generates chlorine so........

I can't wait to see pics! Go ahead and take a pic of your backyard with the paint so we can see it now!

Kim

attachment.php
I tried getting a better picture but I couldn't get it all. The bottom right flag is to the right of the tree.

That yard is MADE for a BIG pool! This is going to be fun to watch!

Now before you sign anything show us the details and we will make sure everything is as it should be. We love to help others spend their money! LOL

Kim

attachment.php
Thanks Kim! I'm so glad I found this forum:). Here is the proposal we have. We are changing the size some from what he bid..just a little smaller. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. I'm a newbie at this whole pool thing, so suggestions from the pros will be greatly appreciated!!

Maybe I am reading it wrong but looks like an extra zero snuck in the total cost there, cost jumped from $42K to $428K for the provided permit and included tax. Ha.

All kidding aside, you might look into a bigger heater. 250k btus is pretty small for that pool. And definitely consider a two speed motor vs. single speed.

This is what the pool company is providing and we will hire someone else to do all our extra at a much lower price.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be one expensive pool! Lol!! I wondered about both the heater size and speed and was gonna discuss with them tomorrow in our meeting. Another company had a 35,000 btu and a 1 1/2 De but didn't say speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.