Just Ordered a SWG need help with opening.

Just pulled off the winter cover. I have a 40k gal gunite pool. I ordered a SWG yesterday to make the switch from chlorine to salt. What is the best way to open the pool? My cya levels were extremely high at closing so I emptied 1.5' of water out and let the pool fill up over the winter naturally. It is a dark green pond at this point and with the amount of rain we have had recently the local worm population made abee line to it. I have begun filtering and using the robot vacuum to remove the solids. What is my next step keeping in mind I am putting in the SWG later this week. I have not done any testing at this point. Thanks George

You will not use the SWCG until you have a clear/clean pool. Even a small algae outbreak will overwhelm the SWCG. I would probably not even install it until you are clear and have your pool balanced.

Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels and at that point you can add salt and turn on the SWCG..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.