New pool startup GREEN!

May 31, 2015
La Verne, ca
How did you solve the problem?
Same happened to me. New plaster, pool filled in Saturday. Pool man came on Sunday, added startup and . On Friday came and added conditioner and pool turned clear green after being perfect for over 4 days. We back washed our sand filter as pool man thought that it is clogged by the plaster powder, but that did not help. Anyway I new it is not true as pressure was at clean filter pressure. On Saturdy He added two small bags of shock, chlorin, and said it should be clear in 4 hours. Next day, which is today it is still looking green despit that all is balanced.

Moderator note: This post was moved from this old thread here: New pool startup GREEN!!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

When you say yours is green, describe it - cloudy green, clear green, translucent green. What does it look like???

Do you have a test kit, and can you post a set of test results?

We would like to see:

FC =Free Chlorine
pH = pH of the water
TA = Total Alkalinity
CH = Calcium Hardness
CYA = stabilizer level

Also, more information on your pool helps, so if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons

• If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

It is clear green in the deep side. It looks better in 1 to 2 feet depth. If you pickup the water in a glass from the deep side it looks clear and has no color. According to pool man readings for ph and chlorine are good, but I am going to take a sample to Leslie's to get the numbers for all other measures.
I have two years old hayward sand filter model s244t and Whisperflow wfe-6 pump.
Pool was ok prior to plaster and equipment are fine. a picture shows the pool prior to plastering and startup. Did not change plaster color. Same white plaster is in bot pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Copy of Pool.jpg
    Copy of Pool.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 97
Welcome to TFP!

Ask Leslie's to check for metals, that clear green really looks like it was caused by metals in the water.

As for the rest of the test results they give you, we really aren't going to be able to help much based off of those. Pool store testing is notorious for being inaccurate. It would be a good investment to purchase your own test kit and be able to get accurate results to base your pool care on. I love the TF-100, there is a link to it in my signature below.

Speaking of signatures, please fill yours in with the info Tim posted above. It will help us out greatly going forward.

Welcome to TFP!

Ask Leslie's to check for metals, that clear green really looks like it was caused by metals in the water.

As for the rest of the test results they give you, we really aren't going to be able to help much based off of those. Pool store testing is notorious for being inaccurate. It would be a good investment to purchase your own test kit and be able to get accurate results to base your pool care on. I love the TF-100, there is a link to it in my signature below.

Speaking of signatures, please fill yours in with the info Tim posted above. It will help us out greatly going forward.

I have tested the water they said everything is normal and iron=0 and copper=0. They only mentioned a high Phodphate 500-1000. The Pool guy used phos-stop Jack's magic product bottle. It did not help it just turned the pool water from clear green to cloudy green.

Did the Pool Guy add any algaecide? Some contain copper which can cause that pretty green to appear.

Are you planning on taking over the care and feeding of your pool or will you continue to have the pool guy do it his way? His way may conflict with our way and waste your time using questionable and costly products that do nothing to solve your problem. Our way is usually cheaper, but requires some effort on your part (more so when fixing a problem but not unmanageable) and our daily care takes mere minutes.

Having a decent test kit is paramount to knowing whats in your water...and what isn't. TF-100 is my fave and the cost of it is cheaper than buying more chemicals you don't need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.