Need advice on first test results

baronfaroo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2008
South Jersey
I finally had some time to test the water for the first time since the build/startup (about 1 week ago). Here are the results using the TF100 test kit:

FC = 0
CYA = 0
PH = 7.8
TA = 140
CH = 140
Salt = ???
Water temp = 46 F

Here's some background info:

The PB put in some salt (I don't know how much). But, after some troubleshooting, I realized the SWG is in backwards. I told the PB and they are going to fix it later this week or early next. They did add some algaecide (polyq 60). There is no CYA/stabilizer (I can see the black dot with the cylinder filled to the very top).

So here's my questions:

- Should I be concerned with the absence of chlorine and CYA in the pool? (I don't think algae is a concern due to the low water temp.)
- Is there any other negative impact with no chlorine/CYA in the pool?
- The PB is going to close/winterize the pool in a few weeks (waiting for the concrete to fully cure before they drill the holes for the mesh cover). Should I balance the water and get the water chemistry right before they winterize the pool ? I assume they will shock the pool before closing.

Thanks for your help.

With the water temperature that low there is very little risk of algae getting started. You might want to add a little chlorine once a week or so, but even that is probably not required.

There isn't really any point in adding CYA before the spring. There is some risk that any CYA you add now might vanish over the winter, so just wait till later.

The only number you really need to keep an eye on is the PH. Try to keep the PH below 8.0. That shouldn't be all that difficult given the low water temperature (which will slow the PH rise associated with fresh plaster).

You probably should open fairly early in the spring. As soon as the water starts to warm up the plaster curing will start throwing the balance off and you will want the pool open so you can keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.