Help! Algae STUCK to sides/steps

May 31, 2015
Plano
After several visits to Leslie's and a couple different pool companies coming out, I'm coming to you for help! Our pool pump broke and in the process of waiting for home warranty to fix it, we ended up with a ton of algae. First pool guy (who fixed the pump) suggested a super-shock plus algae treatment. It worked.... except for getting the stuff stuck to the steps/sides. So, we called out another guy to do the cleaning. He said the super-shock caused the algae to stick to the sides and the only option is to drain the pool and use a pressure washer. As you can see, the water looks good and we seem to have all the chemicals where they need to be. I can't believe that draining is our only option! Thoughts?
5dc2ace078a784e2648bf541c32600ab.jpg

Hi
And welcome to TFP. you have came to the right place.

The pool guys are wrong on every level and so is any advice or product from the pool store as well as pool store test results. They are horribly in accurate.

It can come off of there, but its a process, not a one or 2 time treatment. There is no miracle cure.
You will need to use liquid chlorine to solve the problem. Either regular household bleach without any anti splash or foaming additives or any of that stuff. Just regular bleach.
Liquid Chlorine pool shock will work too.

You will need to test the water and add chlorine several times a day, so you'll need a good and reliable test kit with a FAS-DPD chlorine test and a CYA test.
we recommend either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck.
The Taylor K2006 is available several places online. The TF100 is available at only TFTestkits.net and http://www.pool supplyworld.com on the west coast.

once you have the test kit, you need to test all of your water parameters and post them here if you have any questions.
After that, adjust your pH to 7.2. Test for CYA and determine what that is, then use the below FC/CYA chart to dermine what the FC level wil be for the SLAM
then start the SLAM.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Use pool math to determine how much of something you need to add for pH adjustment and chlornie addition to keep your FC at slam level.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - Recommended Levels

I assume that is a masonry pool? What have you tried to loosen the algae? Regular brush? Wire brush? just Chemistry?

It sounds like you need a stainless steel brush....available online. Unless you have not brushed it at all. Let us know.

BTW, when you get that algae loose, Divin Dave has you on the right path above.
After several visits to Leslie's and a couple different pool companies coming out, I'm coming to you for help!
Make us your first stop next time. Best pool advice on the planet (seriously) and the price is right.

Since the SS brush didn't work (hard to imagine) than you are going to have to remove it with chemistry AND brushing.

I am not sure you need to SLAM the Pool but at the very least you are going to have to elevate your chlorine for what may be a couple of weeks or more.

Now, to tell you how much to elevate the FC, we need test results like this...

FC
pH
CC
CH
CYA

Can you provide those for us?

And to think we were told to drain this pool! Thank you so much everyone! I'll be getting the levels checked today. Now that it's been shocked quite a bit, we'll need to get back to normal. Thank you!!!!
739db878ba50887687a462925f0e886a.jpg

Lots of shock around the perimeter of the pool (problem area) and a wire brush/lots of elbow grease immediately after pouring in the chlorine. Repeated 24 hours later. OH....almost forgot to mention, my alkaline levels were off so I poured in a gallon of muriatic acid before starting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.