Tripping Circuit

May 31, 2015
Greenwich CT
We have an inground pool and my husband is attempting to open the pool for the first time. He has assembled the filter, removed all line plugs, greased o rings etc.

The problem. When filter is switched on, the fuse pops. Not sure if this is a result of not attaching ground wire to the pump. Does the pump motor need to be grounded? By the way, there is green grounding wire that lies very close to the pump motor, leading us to believe it needs to be attached. It is a centurion switchless motor.

Thanks for your help in advance.

That wire is a bonding ware, and yse it should be connected to a lug on the top of the motor. But, that generally will not cause a breaker to trip.

A photo or two of the equipment and a little more information on your pool may help us point you in the right direction.

Tim, the one HP motor shown seems to have a grounding wire attachment - which i think I am pointing to. It's a MagneTek Centurion. I had unclamped it to see that the impeller was spinning freely. That gasket was tricky when pitting back together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 24
Does the breaker trip immediately or a few seconds after you start the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott,

The breaker trip's immediately, so the pump does not even start. That said, the first time I started the pump, I could hear it working. But I turned the pump off after a few seconds because I had not filled the pre-filter with the gallon or so of water that needs. So I filled the pre-filter. When I then tried to start the pump (and every time thereafter) the breaker trip'ed the instant I flip the power stitch on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.