Do I need to worry about TA?

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
Quick question, I hope.
Today's numbers:
FC 16.5 CC 0 (Slammed yesterday and it stayed Slammed :) overnight)
PH 7.4
CYA 50- 55 ( It has been less than 40 since we opened and I have been skittish about adding too much. But I added stabilizer on Friday in a nylon in front of the return and it was broadcast in no time- worked much better than Hubby's old gym sock where it took a month to dissolve) I am waiting a week to get a real feel for the CYA - I have read enough on here to know to be patient with that.
CH 80
TA 140
SALT 3600 * I had been thinking that the salt cell was not working - but low salt and low CYA I think contributed to the chlorine disappearing/not being produced, and since adding the salt, the SWG lights are doing what they are supposed to :) and since slamming and adding CYA the FC stayed put overnight.

Now my question- Do I need to worry about the TA? Could it be artificially inflated because I just slammed and recently added stabilizer?
I will not have time to babysit a MA/Fountain process to lower the TA for at least 2 weeks when school lets out (I am a teacher) And such a process would prohibit my brood from using the pool during it due to low ph - Right? What is the best/least intrusive way to lower TA that still allows for family swim time?

Once again I appreciate you being here :D

It will not intrude at all if you wish to do it. We only suggest pushing pH down to 7.2, so there is no problem swimming in that at all. It's better to run lower TA With a SWG, but you can start working it down slowly. It doesn't require babysitting at all. A little more frequent pH testing and acid additon is all. Easy stuff. Let us know if you need help with it, no sweat!

hi tcasto, it's not urgent, but when you have time i would address it. as per http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/138-water-balance-for-swg-saltwater-chlorine-generator a SWCG pool should be around 60-80 TA. the generator tends to drift the pH up, so a lower TA will stabilize the pH somewhat and slow down acid additions.

i have the same problem, as i have fill water with TA=300, 4 aerated jets, and we're getting waterfalls this summer. also consider getting borates up to 50ppm to also buffer pH, and also make the water soft and sparkly.

i've been to bucks county 4 or 5 times, say hi to bert and ernie for me! ;)

hi tcasto, it's not urgent, but when you have time i would address it. as per http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/138-water-balance-for-swg-saltwater-chlorine-generator a SWCG pool should be around 60-80 TA. the generator tends to drift the pH up, so a lower TA will stabilize the pH somewhat and slow down acid additions.

i have the same problem, as i have fill water with TA=300, 4 aerated jets, and we're getting waterfalls this summer. also consider getting borates up to 50ppm to also buffer pH, and also make the water soft and sparkly.

i've been to bucks county 4 or 5 times, say hi to bert and ernie for me! ;)

Thanks for your help - I will take care of it once school lets out and try to do it in a way that allows for my kids (and hubby and I of course) to use the pool. I have a fountain somewhere in the garage. I bought it at the end of last season and never used it.

Quick question - How much of the heat is lost to using a fountain?

We've lived in this general area for years and never went to Sesame Place. We like Bert and Ernie - actually I prefer Cookie Monster :) But we love Hersheypark.

You don't have to use the fountain absolutely. Simply pointing your returns up, and a good deal of activity in the pool may be ample. You'll lose some heat with a fountain, but depending on how much flow, and run time it has, you might notice a little heat loss

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.