Gas / Water Lines

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
I am in the planning stages of my outdoor kitchen that will be constructed on a new deck that sits up off the ground about 3'. I would like to run my gas and water lines to my outdoor kitchen above grade connected to the bottom of the joists in some fashion. Are there any issues with running gas in this manner? Trenching them into the ground will be difficult to do. I plan to slope the water lines to enable me to drain them in the winter, but I can do without the sink for the winter months.

Any thoughts?

Riles

If you are concerned about codes then you need to consult your local authorities. For me, I just do it as safe as I think it needs to be and that generally is overkill with no fees or inspectors to make your life miserable.

If you have a basement, like me, you could go down there and see this is how they run the black pipe to a kitchen island, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I actually put a 3" pipe under my patio to run the gas line through, and paid my propane service tech like $75 to come hook it up (I had it pre plumbed.)

NOTE about gas lines...make sure you put in a shut off valve that's easily accessible, and get in the habit of turning it off EACH TIME you use the grill. My buddy didn't have this and forgot one of his burners left lit. It burned through $2500 worth of NG before he found it. I'd only get to 800 gallons of propane, so $1600 max, but still, I'm paranoid about it now.

You do need to check with your local athorities but the general rule of thumb is that if the space is not readily accessible it's ok to run the gas line hung from the joists. (I.E. crawl space under a dwelling.)
As stated, there needs to be a readily accessible shutoff where the line exits the ground. And that needs to be clearly marked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.