Baqua out

jim iowa

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2015
Des Moines, IA
hi...

has anyone heard of a product called Baqua out (not sure of spelling) I called our local dealer and he stated this should be our first step in removing the Baquacil from our pool. We are for sure changing to chlorine. This is our third year with the pool and when we opened it up this year it was hazey and has not improved with all of the things we have done and all of the product we have put in. we have ordered our testing kit to begin the process, but had not see anything about this product in any of the posts on your site. thanks

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I won't go to a pool store for any advice, and I'd surly not go there for advice on how to convert from Baqua. Remember, it was a pool store that sold you the Baqua bill of goods.....

You haven't seen anything about it because we don't recommend pool store potions. The product you need is a lots of liquid chlorine or bleach.

Read this article and follow the instructions. Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Obviously, if anything seem unclear jump back on and ask away with the questions.

What test kit did you order?

SCAM!

http://www.goldenc.co/Documents/SDSsheets/Archived/Baquacil/Baqua_Out.pdf

BaquaOut is nothing more than EDTA. It's a sequestrant that is marketed for use in a Baquacil pool for controlling metal stains. You do not use this product for conversion from Baquacil to chlorine. In fact, adding EDTA prior to chlorine for conversion will just cause a higher chlorine demand as EDTA is oxidized by chlorine.

Oi, these pool store guys will say anything to sell a bottle of chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using

That will work, but you need to order refills for the FAS-DPD test now as you are going to have to test a lot for the conversion.

Specifically the R-0870 powder and the R-0871 FAS titrating reagent. Both are available on Amazon from various suppliers. The K-2006 comes with 0.75 fl-oz dropper bottles. I prefer to order the larger 2.0 fl-oz bottles. The standard 10gm powder bottle for the R-0870 is sufficient but I keep extra on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, thanks for all the advice appreciate it. One last question, we are going on vacation for 10 days, we haven't started the conversion and we haven't added any baquacil product for about a week. Should we just leave it as is and start the conversion when we get back, and add nothing now? thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we are now home from Florida, and we are getting ready to start the conversion this weekend. We determined that we had a sand leak from our filter (the lateral had a big crack in it), so we just got that cleaned up....so now on to conversion tomorrow night ..I will post updates and pictures....
jim

well we started our conversion late Friday night, it has been a rough weekend for the pool. we are into our 35th jug of bleach. our readings the last time (about an hour ago) are FC -13 PH-7.0, we have a cloudy water, lie tint of green. I will add all the pictures from the last 48 hours. we had some really nasty stuff come out, but we kept cleaning it while we went. it took a while to register any chlorine. sure hope the clear water is soon. Our granddaughters were not happy with not having their pool this whole weekend. Once we get the chlorine to 15, should it clear up? I need to catch up on the maintenance part now also.

Once we get the chlorine to 15, should it clear up? I need to catch up on the maintenance part now also.
You should be getting to 15 now, as that is the short term goal - add to 15 each time you test. The ultimate goal is to get less than 1ppm loss on an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT).

Once you pass the OCLT it's time to change the sand in your filter. This is one of the few times a sand replacement is recommended.

You need to get to 15ppm and maintain. You are not there yet. Brushing, vacuuming and backwashing after the pressure goes up by 25% is essential. You have to reach 15ppm FC and be able to not lose more than 1ppm FC overnight. All of the instructions are in PoolSchool.

There is no way to know how long this process will take. Some conversions have been done in a week others take several weeks. You are basically oxidizing all of the organics from the Baquacil chemicals, turning the into crud and then filtering and skimming all of that organic crud out of your water. That is why brushing, skimming and keeping the filter clean is so essential. The more Baquacil-goop you can take out of the water, the better. Until the chlorine has destroyed the last remnants of the Baquacil, your pool water will continue to consume chlorine at a high rate.

Once you reach that threshold of maintaining less than 1ppm overnight loss, then you change your filter media. But getting to that point takes the most time.

Tell the grandkids to be patient. You're doing them a huge favor by going through this process and they soon will have much cleaner and healthier water to play in.

Keep posting test results and question/concerns and we'll keep cheering you on. This process takes a lot of POP - Pool Owner Patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are probably at the point where you can see the goop on the pool floor. I I would brush the walls at least daily but more often is better, wait for the goop to settle to the bottom of the pool, and vacuum to waste. After vacuuming, then bring the Chlorine back to SLAM levels. I knew I had to change the sand afterward, but I didn't want any more junk in my filter than necessary. Plus you'll be replacing "treated" water with fresh water. I'd also empty all skimmer baskets including the one in the pump. One thing you will notice is that your skimmer baskets will never be cleaner (You are dosing the water with bleach, after all.).

yep, we have been brushing the walls, vacuuming the bottom and skimming with pantyhose covering our normal net and it has really helped.. we aren't seeing as much goop now, which we are taking as a good sign. when I left for work this morning, I was at FC13 (added what pool math told me to get it back to 15) and after work it had dropped to FC2, is that normal?
thanks guys!!
Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.