Gizzmo and return line plug problems

Jun 27, 2008
Georgia
Hi all. I'm trying to close my pool properly and I went out and bought a Gizzmo for my skimmer and a return plug for my return.

I go to screw the Gizzmo in the skimmer and the first thing I find out, is that the bottom of the Gizzmo is bigger than the skimmer hole. Second thing I notice is that my skimmer hole doesn't have any threads. I checked Gizzmo's website to see if they had other styles of Gizzmo's, but all of them are thread-based. What should I do now? The hole appears to be about 1 1/4" wide, rough estimate.

As for the return plug, it has an O-ring on it to make a good seal, problem is that the plug only screws in 1/2 way before bottoming out. Is this the wrong plug or is this normal? I can't see how this would be normal, b/c why would the O-ring be on there to make a seal, yet the plug not screw down all the way to the O-ring?

I also bought both of these parts at the pool store where I bought my pool and these parts were the ones recommended to me by them, so I'm glad they know their pools and what accessories are needed for them. Now I need to make another trip to return these and either get a refund or see if they have the right stuff for me.

Can someone help me out please?

Thanks.

You can teflon or silicon the return plug without much trouble. The gizzmo can be scientifically weighed down with some duct tape and a rock, but it won't plug the skimmer, so you'll need a rubber plug for that.

Once you've got the plug in the skimmer, fill it with water to make sure you've got enough weight on the gizzmo to keep it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.