St Augustine, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a Hayward Cartridge Filter which has a black ring clamp that un-screws to open it. Well when I relieve the pressure from it and unscrew it.... it is imposible to remove the top part to get to the filter. I am having to take a large flat screwdriver to pry it apart. Not really a big deal except it is leaving impressions in the plastic body. After a while this thing is going to be chewed up badly.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a different/better way to get it off?

Thanks guys!!!

Re: Hayward Filter

Is there an air relief on the filter? Be sure to open it when you are trying to take the lid off.

Once you've got the ring off and the air relief open if it's still a pain and if it's outside where you don't mind getting a little water on the ground, you can always give it a kick by turning the pump on for a second (as in one second, quick on and off). Disclaimer: there is a chance that if it's really stuck on and you leave the pump running the lid will come flying off dangerously. So don't leave the pump running, don't stand with your face over it, etc.

Usually you can get them off with a small amount of persistent force once air is allowed a path into the housing.

There should be black drain plug at the bottom of the filter. Remove that and the pump lid and the filter should drain very quickly. After that the top will easily be removed.

mas985 said:
There should be black drain plug at the bottom of the filter. Remove that and the pump lid and the filter should drain very quickly. After that the top will easily be removed.

Yes there is. I will give that a try tonight. There has got to be a way because prior to me and the screwdriver, there were no marks on it. LOL :hammer:

OK... So I came home and tried that and it was easier but still needed the screwdriver. :?

I did realize that it was not a Hayward, but it is a Pentair Clean n Clear Cartridge Filter. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

I think it is but will check tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else has any idea, please feel free to let me know.

I do not want to tug on it too much since the filter is not bolted to the slab. When I pull hard on it, all I am doing is yanking on the pipes which I do not want to do. LOL :mrgreen:

Is there a pressure relief valve on the top? We've only opened the Pentair filter once so far and it was difficult until we opened the valve on the top. Then all the water gushed out of the seam at the middle and the top was loose.

Well I finally got time this morning to try the advice from watebear to relieve the pressure and the kick the filter on for a second then kick it right off. I also think someone else might have mentioned this too. Anyway, it worked like a charm!!! Scared me at first but worked well!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help everyone!!! :goodjob:

Just for future reference, I use a rubber mallet to GENTLY tap around the perimeter of the filter just above where the clamp would be. Then I hit the side of the top half of the filter, near the top, with the heel of my open hand and that usually does it.

It is essential when reassembling any filter to clean the "seat" where the rubber o-ring rests with water and a rag, then lubricate thoroughly with a non-petroleum based lubricant. Do this with both the top half and bottom half of the filter. I also clean the o-ring by just using an old rag to get the old lubricant, dirt, and grit off of it. Then, I lubricate the seats and not the o-ring. Your filter should disassemble much easier next time around.

Good luck next time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.