Newbie needs help with the TFPC method

May 29, 2015
Mississauga
Hi.
So I am new to this method. My ex used to take care of the water chemistry but now it's up to me. My pool is a vinyl liner irregular shaped pool. My pool people hooked up my automatic chlorinator which I wNt to disconnect. So I tested my water today and here are my numbers.
CYA 90 ppm. PH is 7.4. FC is 8.5 ppm. TA is 120. I am not sure what the goals for my pool should be and what I sgould be doing with these numbers today.

Please help!

P.S. Pool holds 43500 litres.

Welcome Ziggygal. A couple things that I noticed right away ......
1 - What test kit are you using?
2 - "IF" we were to assume your test numbers are accurate (we never assume at TFP :), a CYA of 90 is very high. Definitely do not use any chlorine products other than liquid bleach.

So much depends on your test though, and what test kit you are using. Your reply will determine the next few responses. Welcome again!

Welcome :wave:

In order to practice the TFPC Method, you're going to need one of the Recommended Test Kits

You are going to have to stop using pool stores and "pool people".

You need to remove and throw away all the chlorine pucks in your inline chlorinator and just go to manually adding bleach to your pool.

You also need to develop a daily and weekly pool care plan because a pool is not something you fiddle with once per week and expect to stay clean and clear.

You need to update your signature with all of your pool details.

As for your current numbers, assuming they are reliable, everything looks ok except your CYA is way too high for a vinyl pool and it is likely greater than 90ppm unless you measured that number yourself. Your CYA should be 30-50ppm with a target FC of 3-5ppm.

Here are the Recommended Ranges

Here is the Chlorine/CYA Chart

If you need to do calculations for chemicals and figure out what to add, use PoolMath

And, if you are confused by anything or need help, ask lots of questions as we are all over-achievers when it comes to being helpful ;)

Thanks! I knew the CYA was high. I used the Taylor fAS-DpD K2006c test kit. So I am going to disconnect the chlorinator. I have liquid bleach. That is how my ex would add chlorine. As much as I hate to admit this he kept our pool water really balanced.

It's not super critical but you should add lowering your TA to the list of To Do's BUT ONLY AFTER you get your CYA and FC perfected and you have an established pool care routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I knew the CYA was high. I used the Taylor fAS-DpD K2006c test kit. So I am going to disconnect the chlorinator. I have liquid bleach. That is how my ex would add chlorine. As much as I hate to admit this he kept our pool water really balanced.
Your ex may have kept the water clean but it wasnt "balanced". once the cya gets out of control (chlorinator keeps adding it when using pucks) trouble is a brewin' and it aint easy to keep clean no more. The amount of chlorine to maintain a pool increases with cya and you have too much. Got to have some but not too much. As others stated follow the cya/chlorine chart. Also if you have a mineral cartridge in that chlorinator gut it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.