Light at the end of the tunnel...Switching to BBB method Question

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
So we drained the pool about 3 inches because it was supposed to rain that much and I thought I could stand to lose another 3 or 4ppm, as per CYA/FC chart. So of course it hasn't rained yet. But that's great for the people who were flooding so I'm not complaining!

So I'm looking for 6% bleach and all the Clorox is Concentrated. The generic bleach I got was 6.0% Sodium Hyd 94% "other" with a total of 5.7% available chlorine and 0 phosphorus. I thought we were supposed to use 6% and now all I see is 8.25% which is the concentrated stuff. Is one better than the other or do we just dilute one more?

Also if I go to bleach now but still have other chemicals like ash and dry acid, can we still use it until it's gone and then switch? In other words is there an interaction between BBB and pools store chemicals that could cause a problem?

I feel like I just missed a curve ball.

No need to post my numbers now, they're all good according to pool math and Tk2006 kit. Just trying to get ready now that the weather's going to be more normal. And I really want to start get going with bleach!

Thanks for any advice.

As a fellow Texan, I can tell you that any of the liquid bleaches you get at Wal-Mart or HEB is fine. I bought some generic stuff at HEB today. Either percentage will work. There are even some at 10 or 12%. All that does is means some may be more effective that others. But the PoolMath Calculator (in my link below) allows you to select which type you are using. :) No need to use any other products right now, although for acid specifically, liquid or dry is fine. Although dry has to be diluted before applying. If you have any old stuff or items from a pool store laying around, chances are you won't need them. Just stick to what the Poolmath Calculators shows you. Right now, regular bleach is your pool's best friend. Of course, ask us anytime you need assistance.

- - - Updated - - -

PS ~ Here come the T-storms again! :(

Been thinking of installing a float switch on my drain pump for just such an issue.

I switched to BBB last year and the old chemicals are collecting dust. Opened the pool up this year and $17 dollars later she is almost perfect. I did have a low PH but adjusted that from 7.0 to 7.5 by turning one of the water jets up for more aeration. Bought some powder dishwasher soap and cleaned the filter's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.