Should I Pull the Tri-Chlor?

May 30, 2015
Mesa, Arizona
I've had pools for decades. I usually do a half drain every couple years, because of the high calcium content here in Az. The water in my pool is really, really clear - like read a newspaper on the bottom of the deep end with your sunglasses on clear. I just discovered this site, and I am now a recovering trichlor puck user but it got me thinking about how much CYA had built up over the last year.

I got one of them fancy Taylor test kits, and came up with the following:

FC 17
CC 1.0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 380
CYA >100 (based on the distance below the 100 line, I estimate somewhere between OMG! and AAAAAHHHHH!!!)

I did an extra long backwash to pull the water level down to the bottom of the skimmer. When it finished refilling, I retested, and everything was the same - pretty much as expected, because it wasn't that much water. This time, I used the 50% tap water method, and came up with a CYA of 170.
Here's my question:
How long would you expect it to take for the FC to cook down to the point where I'll need to add some more liquid? Water temp is around 81, and we've got sunny days in the 100's for the next week. The tricky part for me is the effect of the CYA. I took my puck floater out yesterday, but the FC level is still hanging tough.
Ordinarily, I'd just do the daily test thing, but I'm going out of town for four days starting Monday. I'm trying to decide whether I should just leave the floater in while I'm gone so I don't come home to a green monster. Either way, I'll be pumping out about 3/4 of the water next weekend and rebooting with liquid sanitizer.

Thanks in advance - I'm glad I finally found this site.

Well Steve, If you are going to convert to TFP you probably need ot be there. Four extra days of the floater isn't the end of the world when you are talking CYA levels you are at.

You are pumping out water, so why worry about a few more points of CYA. Keep it from going green, use the floater.

I'm not sure what your water costs are, but the other option is Reverse Osmosis. It is available in your area, but it is usually expensive. It will remove the CH and the CYA

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I agree with what Tim is saying.....keep the floater.

I would also get up Monday before I left and put in about 20 ppm of bleach or liquid chlorine. This will give you some extra insurance although I suspect the floater alone MIGHT be adequate. Sorta like a belt with suspenders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.