Rising pH...Need some advice, please.

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hello. Unfortunately, it's me again with more questions. I've been on a 2 week mission to add CYA into my pool. When I first started, I had less than 20 CYA so each week, I've been trying to raise it 15-20. After I drop the socks into the pool, I usually get them to dissolve within a day. Then, I will test 2 days later and again, exactly 1 week after I have dropped the socks into the pool (since the folks on here state that it could take a week for CYA to register properly). Before each CYA addition, I backwash the pool. My test results have been fairly normal; however, yesterday, I noticed things change pretty drastically because I thought my pH went to 8.2 yesterday. Today, I believe my pH went to 8.2. Here are my results with the TF-100 kit.

Screenshot 2015-05-30 15.44.39.jpg

Questions:
1. I am running my pump and SWG for 8 hours a day. My SWG setting was on 50%, but I turned it down to 40% yesterday. I did this because I am trying to get my FC back down. Is this the correct method to combat a rising FC? I'm assuming that my FC is rising because my CYA is going up and I'm retaining more FC in my water now?

2. Should I begin a project to lower my pH since I believe it is around 8.2 now?

3. Should I continue with my CYA addition? I had planned on doing another "sock in pool" today, but I'm scared because my FC and pH are rising. I'm not sure what factors have contributed to this.

Once again, I apologize for all of the questions. I have only been a pool owner for a short time so I'm still trying to figure out what numbers I should stay between (I have read Water Balance for SWGs extensively) and when I should start fixing things. Thanks for all of your help. This forum has been a money saver and stress reliever.

Your swg will cause your ph to rise. Use muriatic acid to lower it. Your FC is being protected from the sun by the CYA you are adding, so not as much is being lost each day. Shoot for 70-80 for CYA since you have a SWG. You may need to turn it down a little more or decrease your pump run time, whichever you prefer. You should only backwash when the filter pressure rises 20-25%. It actually cleans better when it's a little dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your PH needs lowered. It raises from the aeration coming from the SWG.

I would continue to add CYA until it is where you want it. Remember true CYA won't register for 1 week after adding so don't overshoot it.

I would reduce your SWG percentage or runtime. I cannot control my percentage, but I run mine 4 hours a day and my FC is usually 7-8.5

1. You have it nailed.....that's correct

2. Yes. ALWAYS keep pH in the 7's Use muriatic acid

3. Yes, I would suggest you dose CYA again to reach a goal of 70 ppm. Your work is precise and you will have no problems.

Your questions are well thought ought and it is a pleasure for all of us to help you. How does your water look?

Hold off on the CYA for a week, then test it. (I'm not going against Dave S. recommendation, but CYA doesn't always show up instantly on the test. It's one of those times its better to undershoot, then add later, then over shoot.) Use muratic acid (MA) to lower pH. Enjoy your pool. Don't let your FC go below 5. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use pool math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to calculate how much MA to use. Add only 3/4 the amount if you're not positive on the pool size (amount). You can recheck the pH in 30 minutes (time to let it mix in well) and see if you need to add more MA to get the pH where you need it.

1. You have it nailed.....that's correct

2. Yes. ALWAYS keep pH in the 7's Use muriatic acid

3. Yes, I would suggest you dose CYA again to reach a goal of 70 ppm. Your work is precise and you will have no problems.

Your questions are well thought ought and it is a pleasure for all of us to help you. How does your water look?

My water looks pretty clear (almost crystal clear).

When I do my tests (after my CYA addition), I test on the 3rd and 7th days after I drop the sock into the pool. I figure this would tell me what the CYA level is during the middle part of the 7 day period and what it is on the 7th day so that I can have an accurate comparison.

The articles are on here are pretty fantastic, almost too fantastic. They seem so easy so I'm scared that if I'm lowering or raising something, I'm not inadvertently causing adverse effects. I guess I know enough about this now to be completely ignorant. Lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.