Help Me With My Algae Cleanup

Jun 13, 2007
TEXAS
Had my inground pool for over 12 years....I've dealt w/algae before by using a strong algaecide and it went away within 24 hours

This year I had horrible algae like never before (we had 6 straight weeks of rain here in Texas). In one month I've spent $600+ and still can't swim. Pool shops have had me purchase shock, algaecide, bleach, muriatic acid, and super floc.

I have brushed and brushed....I have vacumed to waste. I'm retired, so I've been doing all this physical work for 4-5 hours a day. I have used all the above listed items and it killed the algae and the water is clear. But when I go to vacum up the dead algae on the bottom, it clouds up. So I turn off pump until everything settles to the bottom again.

Now I'm just confused. One pool shop said vacum through filter, then backwash good and do again.

I've done that and no change. Another pool shop said shock, or flock, etc. w/ recirculate on for 2 hours...turn off pump and let pool sit overnight.....then to vacum to "waste" the next day and NOT through the filter.

Same thing....water very clear and I see the dead or dropped algae on the bottom and I can vacum a few minutes and get some of this muck up, but then if I move the vacum too fast, the cloud starts to move throughout the pool.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've spent all this money and physically I'm worn out and mentally I'm very angry...and I still can't swim.....I even bought a new vacum hose and vacum brush....everything all new...just got a new pool pump/filter last summer so I don't think it's that.. Thank you.

Driven,

Let's get started by welcoming you to the forum. There are plenty of people here to help get you back to a "TroubleFreePool". May I suggest you post a set of test numbers on your pool. That will give everyone an idea of what the chemistry of your pool is currently doing. More to follow once you post a set of numbers. Once again, welcome.

Without numbers, we are basically guessing!

But here is my guess:

If your water is blue, but clouds up, that tells me that you have PROBABLY killed all the algae. Now you just need to run your filter (set to 'filter') 24/7, brush and vac, (you can vac on filter unless you have large debris in the pool) and backwash frequently to clear the dead algae out of the water.

I would suggest getting a good test kit, like the one sold here, (even a 6-way available at walmart is better than nothing)

Then I would suggest reading all the stickies here about sanitizing your pool with the BBB method. If you were merely fighting an algae problem, it could have been solved with plain old household bleach, and saved you a TON of money!

Get a kit, post some numbers, keep brushing, and we will help get you through this!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.