Need help getting my salt pool levels right and clearing up cloudiness

May 30, 2015
Brazil, Indiana
I have been trying for about a week to get my pool cleared up and levels right. I am getting frustrated and need advice on what to do. I just tested my levels about and hour ago and this is what I have
TH 200
FC 0
ph 7
ta 180
ca 30-50
salt 2,350
copper 0.1

my pool is blue but cloudy and I have not been able to see the bottom yet this season. It is in boost mode right now. I have been running my filter almost non stop for 2 days. I have added clarifier 2 times in 5 days to try to get cloudiness to clear up. Also after we got the green out we changed all of the sand in the filter to try to help filter better. Yesterday the fc was at 5. I put clarifier in it 2 days ago also. I am really confused and dont know what to do next. Please help.

Welcome to TFP!

These test results look like they came from a multi-test strip. These strips lack the precision needed to follow our methods. One of the cornerstone principles of the TFP method is the Chlorine / CYA relationship . The target amount of chlorine to maintain for proper pool sanitation depends on the CYA level. Therefore, having a test result of 30 - 50 for ca (which I presume is CYA) does not provide the precision needed to determine the proper maintenance level for chlorine.

If your FC is truly zero, this is a big part of the reason your pool is not getting cleared up. Chlorine and chlorine alone (in the form of plain unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners) will help do this. I would stop using clarifiers or any other elixirs that the pool store may be trying to sell you.

You will need to take control of managing your pool and this requires one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. Plus, it will cost you far less than indiscriminately dumping needless chemicals into the pool.

While you are waiting for your test kit to arrive, here's an overview of our methods:
  1. Recommended Pool Chemicals
  2. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
  3. Pool Math - Helps determine the proper dosages based on the water volume of your pool.

I had the same problem this year. I purchases a product called pool first aid and ran filter as directed for 48 hrs. No lie ...about 30 minutes after putting it in water the pollen was gone and the pool was and still is crystal clear!

Thank you for your help. I bought a better test kit. We had a big storm last night so the pool level has increased. I have had filter running nonstop and I also increased my time for my swg. I just tested the water and these are my readings.
FC 4
PH 7.8
Alk. 140
Hardness 180
CYA 30
I also checked and my salt level is too low so I got salt to add today. I also bought liquid chlorine so that if the generator isnt keeping up I can add some. I am just waiting for my generator to finish its cycle to see where my levels are before I add any. I have read all the articles and will continue to go to them when I can. I dont always get it all but I am new to this so hopefully it will all start making better sense soon. Sorry if I ask about things that have been included in the articles as I may not have understood it. Water is still cloudy but hopefully it will clear up when my levels are right.

- - - Updated - - -

We have a cottonwood tree in our backyard so this may be part of the problem. Where did you buy it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.