Can't clear pool

Oct 21, 2008
Terre Haute, IN
I had green algae over three weeks before finally getting it out (bleach to 15+fc 24hrs)....I have been trying to close my pool for 2 weeks since being green free but it won't clear....I used about 30oz 7% cheleated copper and numerous shocking products over the battle....CYA is 110 now (I diluted 1/2 and then read)...The pool has held over 5ppm fc and 0.5cc...Alk and CH is okay. Temps have majorily dropped (30's last night)....Really want to close asap but concerned about the stuff still in there (hazy, blue color)...Have backwashed numerous times and no chlorine losses...Even backwahed with MA per PS. Even put in a gallon of clarifier. Running pump 24/7. No hint of green (no chlorine loss either), but any ideas why pool won't clear? What should I do???? Sand Filter bad? :oops:

Your hazy, blue tint to your water is one of the stages your pool will go through during your algae battle. Its almost the last stage before clearing if I remember right from our battles with it. If your water has dropped below 60 degrees chances are your algae wont return this season. If it were me I would shock it one more time and then close it. Since its this close to being clear it should be easy to deal with next year if you have to ..... I know your freezing temps are coming and snow isnt far behind !

With CYA around 110, day to day FC levels should be around 8-14 and shock level is around 26+. It sounds like you haven't been using enough chlorine. Given the water is very cold you might be making some progress against the algae anyway, but you need higher FC levels to really take care of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.