1st Pool Opening results in 1st SLAM... Help...

May 30, 2015
Huger, SC
Thank you all upfront for your help. I've done my homework by reading past posts and am somewhat familiar with How to SLAM at this point. Pool was cloudy yesterday and then started turning a nice shade of green. I tested and these were the results as of last night:

FC: 1
TA: 180
PH: 7.6
CYA: 40

Pool is 17000 gallons so based on CYA I'm targeting a SLAM level of FC: 16. Pool Math gave me a value of 336 oz of 8.2% bleach which I added last night.

1st full day of SLAM (8am readings) - added another 300oz of bleach to get back up to 16
FC: 2

Noon reading - added 146oz of bleach to get back to 16
FC: 10

Filter is also running 24/7 and I plan to fully clean the cartridge once a day during this process. I will also scrub the entire pool once a day as well.

Is there anything else I should be doing at this point?

Thanks for the update guys. I'm going to take another reading at 4pm.

im waiting on my TF100 water tester to ship out to me and at this point the test strips I have only test for FCI, TA, PH & CYA.

Any way to test for CC with the numbers above?

Thanks for the update guys. I'm going to take another reading at 4pm.

im waiting on my TF100 water tester to ship out to me and at this point the test strips I have only test for FCI, TA, PH & CYA.

Any way to test for CC with the numbers above?
No. But until the water is clear, you're still stuck at SLAM levels anyway, so who cares? Test it when your Mad Scientist Play Set arrives.
attachment.php

4pm reading - added 101oz of bleach to get back to 16
FC: 12

Will just be focusing on my FC at this point until that kit gets here - thanks Richard.

Should I be adding any stabilizer to the mix at this point or just bleach?

Checking numbers again at 8pm!

Just bleach for now.....no stabilizer.

You are doing well and have a grasp of what's required.

You are in Truly expert hands with Richard320 but his jokes are funnier than mine and that gets me just a little. :shock::shock:

SLAM Day 2 - 8am reading (added 203oz to get back to 16)

FC: 8

I notice the color of the milky haze in the water changes color directly after I add the bleach. Is this normal?
It could. Whiter means you're bleaching out algae carcasses. Yellow could just be the bleach itself. Greenish could indicate Iron in the water. It's actually pale yellow orange but the blue water or liner makes it look green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM Day 3

8am reading - added 70oz to get back to 16

FC: 13

- - - Updated - - -

6pm reading (science kit arrived so have true numbers) - adding 304oz to get to 16

FC 4
CL 10+
PH 7.8
CC 2
TC 6
TA 140
CYA 20

With this update anything I should do besides still focusing on TC?

I can start to see the bottom of the pool too so this is working.

SLAM Day 3

8am reading - added 70oz to get back to 16

FC: 13

- - - Updated - - -

6pm reading (science kit arrived so have true numbers) - adding 304oz to get to 16

FC 4
CL 10+
PH 7.8
CC 2
TC 6
TA 140
CYA 20

With this update anything I should do besides still focusing on TC?

I can start to see the bottom of the pool too so this is working.
Focus on FC now that you can test it accurately. Don't bother with color matching any more. Adjust pH to 7.2, possibly add some more CYA if you have some handy - don't stop and make a run to the store just for that - and use FC to target 10 FC. That's shock level for 20 CYA. Keep doing what you've been doing but use the FAS-DPD powder and drops test to check FC.

Roger that Richard.

i have some powdered PH decreaser, is that ok to use?

Also will push forward with an FC of 10. I'll stick to the drops for testing at this point as well.

Thanks for the continued effort!
Since you already own the dry acid, use it. When it runs out, switch to Muriatic Acid. It's generally cheaper and has no nasty byproducts.

SLAM Day 4

8am reading (added 103oz to get back to 12, hopefully this will hold and be at 10 when I get off work)

FC: 8

I'm going to add 57oz of dry acid tonight for a PH goal of 7.2 - is that the number I should shoot for Richard?

Ive been slamming for almost a week, and if theres one thing I might advise is to order some more of the reagent for fc testing. You can really go through it during the slam ive found;)

I did order the extra so I'm all stocked up.

SLAM Day 5

8am reading (did not add anything)

FC 11

6pm reading (adding 212oz to get back above 10)

FC 6

My cloudiness has broke and the pool is returning to crystal. Rained very heavily all day though so will stick to the slam as needed for another day or two until I pass the overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.