Brown Spots on bottom of above ground pool

May 30, 2015
Smyrna, TN
Hi. Glad to be here and have already read a lot of things that help me. I have had my pool open for about a month now and the chemicals have been in balance. The other day I noticed that there was a brown spot on the bottom of my pool liner. I didn't think much about it because I thought it was just dirt. Well, then yesterday I noticed there were about 4 more brown spots on the bottom. Not algae because I keep it treated. I tried to scrub the stains but that did not work. I thought I would ask for suggestions here before I take a sample to the pool place. I've had the pool for 8 years and this is the first time I've had this problem although ever since I started having my yard fertilized, I've had other problems. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Any other details of the pool surroundings?
How big is the spot? Algae can grow from beneath the liner and stain the surface. You can rub citric acid tablets on the stain or set a chlorine puck on it for an hour to see if it goes away.

I get little brown spots on mine from undeveloped acorns breaking free this time of year.

I have a large deck and Leland Cypress trees along the side of the pool. Is there any way to remove the algae growing under the pool liner? I don't have any citric acid tablets but I will try the chlorine tablet.
Try the puck first and see how it goes.
Citric acid can be sourced in powder form near the canning section of most grocery stores, pour it in an old sock and scrub like a sponge.
Once algae is under a liner not much you can do to get rid of it. Bringing your free chlorine level up to SLAM levels(dependent on CYA level) may beat it back.

My last unconventional method I will share as a last resort if the above does not help you

Hi Cindy,
what this means is that the stains are organic in nature. The slimy stuff is called biofilm.
Most likely the spots are some type of algae (there are 1000s of them) but certainly it is organic in nature and the appropriate chlorine treatment will take care of it.

The cure for this is to SLAM the pool. It is not a one time thing, its a process and it works. To do it, you will need to test the water yourself. You will be testing multiple times a day and adding liquid chlorine multiple times a day.
Either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006 will be an acceptable kit. The Taylor can be gotten at multiple places on line. You most likely will not find it in a pool store.
The TF100 is only available online. Since your in TN, the best place for you to get it is at TFTestkits.net . The TF100 is the best bang for the buck.

Instructions on how to properly slam as well as other needed links and info below.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.