Add A Vacuum Port To Intex Pool?

UF2052

Jun 1, 2013
Mid-Mi
I am considering adding a dedicated vacuum port to our Intex when I plumb the new Hayward pump. I tried searching but haven't come up with much help.

My thought is to have a T at the inlet (stock inlet to pump- haven't mounted a through wall skimmer) to the pump and have the vacuum port come up over the wall. I will have a ball valve inline to shut it off.

Main question is do I have the vacuum inlet horizontal at the wall edge, or do I take it into the pool with another 90* and have the end just below the water line 1-2"? Not sure if we will ever add a auto vac or not if that matters.

If I go into the pool, I could use it for the pump to draw from along with the stock pump inlet, using the ball valve to fine tune the amount if needed so the Intex skimmer supplies most of the water.

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, Pump Station, Cleaning, or here.

TY!

TY guys!

Blaib, do you unscrew the cap or is it just pressed on to keep dirt out?

Need to work on an area next to the pool before I plumb the new filter, if the water thaws from this cold front that moved into Mi yesterday afternoon!

Will update on what I end up doing. May try taking it up over the edge into the pool for less air into the system. Time will tell!

TY again!

Yes, this is the new ultraframe with two supply intakes. I really like having two because I can balance water intake below the surface vs the skimmer basket.

On my return, it is a pvc pipe assembly that goes over the wall into the pool and has a 1 micron filter bag that I use to filter my water while I vacuum. My hayward filter doesnt catch the ultrafine sediment and just pumps it back into the pool. The filter bag does a superb job of getting my water crystal clear. When I go to use it, I take the top stub off and the filter bage pipe assembly has another union that I screw into. You could just do the same thing on the intake piping and screw a hose barb into a scrd coupling for your vacuum hose.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the small pipe that goes over the wall is just a water feature for the kiddos. the pipe goes over the wall and tee's with holes drilled into the pvc pipe. Sorry, I misread the post at first.

GTTY,

TY!

As you mentioned, I am considering going over the wall with the intake (split w/ the stock fitting) for the vacuum, possibly having the barb inside the pool for a below the water surface intake controlled by the ball valve.

Interesting how you have the filter bag set up. Good idea!

I wondered if it was a water feature for the monsters! Lol As I mentioned, probably will add a fountain myself.

Now to get the project by the pool done so I can do the plumbing!

View attachment 37304

I did it two years ago, sure makes vacuuming pool easier. Works great

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 37305

On the setup with the pipe outside the pool does the vacuum hose just slip over or in the fitting and how do you get the air out of the hose or does it not matter that much if you suck some air? I will be hard plumbing my pool soon and am considering different options on how to do it. Right now I just use the Intex adapter for the over the wall skimmer but might be a good idea to do something like this also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put the hose on the vacuum head and put it in the pool, then I take the other end and put it on the outlet port while pump is running to fill it with water. Then I just slip it over the vacuum port and yes I just went to lowes and purchased a rubber slip on adapter that fits on the end. Works really good. I will take another picture of this next time I vacuum pool.

I put the hose on the vacuum head and put it in the pool, then I take the other end and put it on the outlet port while pump is running to fill it with water. Then I just slip it over the vacuum port and yes I just went to lowes and purchased a rubber slip on adapter that fits on the end. Works really good. I will take another picture of this next time I vacuum pool.

Yes, please take pics of all the parts or if you have a link that would work also. So when you lower the hose it doesn't loose that much water or do you just cover the end with your hand or something similar? Thanks.

Any pics of the rubber slip on adapter yet?

99taws6- To prime or fill the hose you hold it over the jet that returns water back into the pool and it will purge all the air out of it. Like said above hook up the vacuum and then do the purge. I like to hold the vacuum head just below the water line so it doesn't disturb the dirt when it pushes out the air and water.

Hi folks....don't mean to take this off topic. I hv an intex 18 x 52 round with the stock pump that is 1/2 hp and pumps 1600 gph. Is this pump sufficient to incorporate a vac system as posted in this thread?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Greg I think you'd be better off getting the "intex" vacuum adapter that screws on to the pool wall inlet and allows you to attach a vacuum. I may be wrong but I know I didn't have nearly enough pressure at that gph with my pool to use this style of vacuum. Someone else might chime in and disagree.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.