Newly installed Liquidator won't fill with water?!?

Oct 18, 2007
Central Texas
I installed the Liquidator along with all of Rabbit's modifications. The larger tubes, check valves, etc. The suction side is plugged into the drain plug under the basket of an Intelliflo 4x160. The pressure side is installed into a barb located after the filter and filter bypass valve.

With the pump at speed 4 the LQ fills up in either bypass or filter mode. At speed 3 it will not fill up in filter mode (no water is entering the LQ). At speed 3 with the filter bypass engaged the LQ will fill. At speed 2 the LQ will not fill in either mode. Its like I can't get any pressure on the 3/8 ID tubing.

The inlet float is in the open position; it is not stuck closed. The check valve can't be backwards or I would never get any flow. The tubing is 10 feet long. The outlet float is closed because the water level is too low. If I lift it the water flows out quickly.

I don't have a pressure gauge after the filter but I do have a flow meter. I am getting 105 gpm at speed 3 in bypass mode and 65 gpm in filter mode with a filter pressure of 10psi.

I can try removing the check valve but this valve doesn't seem optional based on the LQ articles I have read. I will also try getting replacement clear tubing to verify that a tubing obstruction is not the problem but this seems unlikely. Has anyone encountered such a problem?

With your large number of returns, you probably have very little pressure. The LQ fills from back pressure, and empties with suction. I would try removing the check valve or looking into another check valve. I tried checking mine by blowing into it, and I can't get it to open. It works fine though, so I can only assume they take a significant amount of pressure to open.

Yes, its definitely a lack of pressure. It resolves as I increase pressure by closing down my master return valve.

I wonder why the instructions have that line after the filter? I should get higher pressure placing the line before the filter. Has anyone tried this?

TizMe, there are many good postings on the LQ and most of the trail has already been blazed by the early adopters. Search for Liquidator and read every post if you haven't done so already. Rabbit's posts are must read items IMHO.

Carlos,

Since you are an inground pool I would assume that your LQ openings are above water level? If so then there really is no benefit to using the check valves. Rarely I have heard from some who say their pump loses prime when the valves are removed but again that is rare. Removing them will allow you to get a much higher flow rate as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.