I'm new here but have an established pool

Apr 23, 2015
Church Point, LA
Hi guys, I have been following the bbb method for a long time among a couple agp's. Here in louisiana we have been getting rain every day for a couple weeks now and my pool is getting diluted a lot. My FC I try to aim at 6. My cya is 50. My TA is 120. my ph I keep stable at 7.5 with Hcl acid as I've been using liq chlorine. With the rain, I've been testing every night but unfortunately, I missed a night and a little algae bloom started. My cc is near 0. But I'm trying to get rid of the bloom. My question is, how much does one 3" cal-hyp 66% weigh. I've searched everywhere online but can't seem to find it. I know I need to add 30oz calhypo66 to maintain shock level, but I don't have access to a scale right now. Can anyone help? Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

To get rid of the algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process process. Curious as to why you want to use cal-hypo instead of liquid bleach to maintain shock level? Also, if you are using cal-hypo tablets, you do not want to put those in a feeder that may have contained the much more common trichlor pucks. The two forms of chlorine are not compatible and you risk a violent chemical reaction if you do so.

I'm familiar with the SLAM process. I've been holding it for about three days. It's just about clear. Thing is, I work for a soap manufacturing firm and buy my liq chlorine by the 55 gal drum at 13%. The drum i was using is still from last year and is now down to 4.8%. Well I ran out and am waiting for a fresh drum arriving Tuesday. In the meantime I have only cal hypo.

As long as you know what the CH level is (assuming it's within the range we recommend), using cal-hypo is fine. Just note that it will turn the water cloudy for up to a few days after adding it - just a by-product of the calcium.

Thanks for your response, I'm just in a jam to add chlorine and don't know where to start quantity-wise I've never used cal hypo and my ch is ~10 so I've got plenty room to play with. They got tons of posts of how much a trichlor tab weighs but not a cal hypo tab

32 oz is 2 pounds of 65% cal hypo and will raise your FC by 7.7 and raise ta by 5.5

I am not sure how much 1 tab weighs, do you have a scale, weigh yourself and then weigh holding the tab, or guess at 2 pounds, see how much you chlorine raises and go from there.. i think you will be good until Tuesday when you get your barrel :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.