May 25, 2015
Colby, KS
New to the pool world. Moved into a house that has a 40 year old fiberglass pool, approximately 25,000 gallons. Last summer never had an issue with the water, I followed pool store guidelines of "shocking" once a week and testing (with strips) daily. Fast forward to this spring...opened pool up after winter, looked fairly good. Water was clear and I "shocked" it and vaccumed. I cannot get the pool to keep chlorine, and now the water is cloudy. So, I have been scouring the net and stumbled upon this site. I ordered a Taylor K-2006 off amazon because it could get here within 2 days. I tested my water and here are my #'s:
FC- 0
CC- 0
PH- 7.0
TA - 240 (!!!)
CH - 225
CYA - 32

Now, I was thinking my CYA could be my culprit for lack of chlorine showing up. But, the level looks ok, maybe slightly low. But, HOLY SMOkES, my TA level is sooo high and PH is low....how does that happen?? And what should I do? I would really appreciate some advice!
Oh, I might add that we have an automatic pool cover and if the pool is not in use, it is always covered (little kiddos)!

Thanks,
Kristina

Ignore the TA for now. The most important thing to focus on is getting the pool cleared up. The SLAM Process will do that. Be sure to use plain unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners. Also, ignore pH during the SLAM as the elevated SLAM chlorine levels will skew the results of that test. Once you are done with the SLAM and FC drops below 10 ppm, then you can test and adjust pH as needed.

Might be a silly question, but do I need to hold the high FC levels for that long? For example, mine says the SLAM # I'm aiming for is 14 to shock. Does that mean I need to keep the FC level at 14 until it no longer drops?

SLAM is designed to raise your FC to a high but safe (still swimmable in fact) level for your CYA. You keep it there until everything bad in your pool has been killed/oxidized. You verify that this is complete by meeting the 3 criteria listed in the SLAM article. Dropping your FC before completely following through can lead to higher than normal chlorine demand or a complete relapse and having to start over again.

Good luck with your SLAM, and welcome to TFP.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Yes, your SHOCK number is 12 for 30 CYA, at 14 or slightly above to maintain the killing effect of the chlorine( will account for losses until next test ). That is why you test often. Re-read the SLAM. under 1.0 FC loss overnight, under 0.5 CC and clear water.

I Started the SLAM process and used the pool math calculator. I added the appropriate oz of bleach at 8 am. Just went out at 10:40 am and checked the FC level and it is only at a 1...and CC is 1. Do I need to go out and add another 481 oz of bleach (8.25%)? Is it normal to use this much?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am making progress! My pool is getting clearer, still not sparkling. My CC is 0.5 and my FC is not being used up quite as fast. I'm hoping just another day or so until it's ready to swim in. My kids are not happy that they can't swim! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.