2 pumps in 2years...need recomendations.

Restomod

Apr 11, 2014
Dallas,Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Long time lurker, first time poster. First this is a great forum and appreciate the information I have already learned.

Now a quick synopsis of my situation. My wife and I are first time pool owners and this is a learning process. We recently lurched a home with a pool (10yrs old) in 11/2013. Home was a foreclosure and bank getting the home ready for market purchased a new pump in 5/13. Our offer was accepted and during a pre-purchase inspection noticed pump was making noise and was replaced under warranty in 12/2013.

Around December 2014 the pump began to make noise but had not impact on performance. In the last 2 weeks it's been losing pressure despite a a clean DE filter, no clogs, air leak, etc. It will run fine but within 1-3hrs water pressure is very low, very little coming out of sprays and water features.

So I'm considering a replacement motor but hesitate with since short life span. I'm pretty mechanical but cannot figure out why they failed so soon. Only then I noticed was pool company did not bolt pump to slab.

Also considering a variable speed pump.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did they replace the whole pump or motor? If it's squealing it could be bearings. Are you comfortable checking the impeller or obstructions/trash/debris? Depending on your energy cost less than $.30 KWH a 2-speed motor/pump my be more cost effective.

Did they replace the whole pump or motor? If it's squealing it could be bearings. Are you comfortable checking the impeller or obstructions/trash/debris? Depending on your energy cost less than $.30 KWH a 2-speed motor/pump my be more cost effective.

They only replaced the motor. Should I replace the front part of the pump, it looks brand new?

Pump motors should last 10 yrs or more if properly maintained. The wet end should last much longer.

So I would replace the motor but you should figure out why they are failing so soon. Was the motor leaking prior to failure?

If you having bearing problems in might be the seals that are failing first. Once the seal fails, it will start to leak water and usually on the motor bearings. This in turn rust the bearings and then the motor fails.

Pump motors should last 10 yrs or more if properly maintained. The wet end should last much longer.

So I would replace the motor but you should figure out why they are failing so soon. Was the motor leaking prior to failure?

If you having bearing problems in might be the seals that are failing first. Once the seal fails, it will start to leak water and usually on the motor bearings. This in turn rust the bearings and then the motor fails.

That is most concerning, the short life span. Only thing I can think of is when they replaced the motor they did not replaced the seal and it leaked causing bearing failure. Currently it sounds as if the bearings are failing.

Or they did not install the seals properly which is not uncommon. Another possibility is that they used a rebuilt motor which usually doesn't last as long as a new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner. Reusing seals it's penny wise and pound foolish. Always replace shaft seal with motor.
This my guess, during disassemble I noticed the bolts holding the motor to the front strainer basket were only hand tight. This is why I think water was getting in along with the seal.

Is it worth trying to change the bearings or cut my losses and buy a new motor?

A variable speed or two speed motor? Personally, I wouldn't go with a variable speed replacement motor. They seem to have more issues than a new VS pump.

A variable speed or two speed motor? Personally, I wouldn't go with a variable speed replacement motor. They seem to have more issues than a new VS pump.

I guess whichever offers the best value in savings and most dependability.

I'm buying a new motor, figured why not opt for energy savings as well.

Well a two speed would give almost as much in energy savings as a VS while I have not been too impressed with the VS add on motors. If you really want a VS, then I would go with a new one.

That is a full rated motor. Is your 2 HP a full rated pump or an up rated pump? Do you have a pump model# or a service factor off the old motor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.