Pump Silent - Won't Start

Nov 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
Evening All :)

Having a strange issue with my pump. It's been working just dandy until today when I tried to turn it from "Auto" to "On." I usually leave it on "Auto" all the time, and saw it running several times this week (could see the water feature/fountain in the spa).

But today, the water was starting to look a tiny bit hazy (probably from this non-stop rain we've had in Texas for the last several weeks). When I toggled it from "Auto" to "On" nothing happened. No hum like other people mention in non-starting pump issues. There was no audible sound at all.

So I started to do some research for trouble shooting, and found to try:
-Turning the shaft via the back of the pump
-Turning the impeller by hand on the front of the pump (by the leaf basket)
-Toggling the breaker switch off/on, did that twice.
-Inspect inside the pump panels.

Everything seemed normal. The shaft turned very easily, and seemed very well lubricated. The impeller also turned 360 degrees several times without impedance. Wasn't much to see in the two panels I opened, just some wires under one, and I suppose a capacitor under the compartment on the top? (guess on that).

The final time I tried to cycle it to "On" I did hear a very audible "puff" - almost like an airblast, which wouldn't make sense, so maybe a fuse? Never saw any fuses in the two panels I opened, and I sniffed all around the pump and couldn't smell that tale-tell burnt electric smell, so no idea what that final "puff" was.

Anyways, any thoughts or ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------

12,000 Gallons - Chlorinated with Bleach
Pebble & Plaster Construction
Spa with Fountain & Waterfalls into Pool
Pentair FNSP 48 DE Filter
AD Smith Centurion Pump

Attachments

• 20150529_182910.jpg
    20150529_182910.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150529_182915.jpg
    20150529_182915.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150529_182922.jpg
    20150529_182922.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 24
Was the motor warm/hot at all? Did you take the back cover off? I assume that's where you saw the wires? There should be a centrifugal switch the makes the contacts for the start capacitor. Make sure it is pressing the contacts and moves freely. I would guess it's either that or the capacitor is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.