Sta Rite Dyna Glass Pump wont prime.

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
I have a Sta rite Dyna Glass pump that only runs a water fall. It feeds from a skimmer, When I opened the pool it worked fine, but now I can not get it to prime or suck up any water, I do not believe I have any suction side leak.

What parts of this pump fail. I was just going to put new seals in in tomorrow or Monday and see it if solves the problem.

Hello,
They're pretty reliable check the lid seal, clean/lubed. You need to add some water to the basket for the initial prime.
Here's the link to the Owners Manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/DynaGlasDynaMaxPumpsOM.pdf

Thanks, I have filled with water, lubed the top oring and even took the stainless ring off and lubed the seals there and the impeller spins freely.

Am going to check again for major suction leaks at fittings.... but am at a loss here as it worked, then stopped working.

The water in the pump basket fills then goes down about 40 feet to the skimmer. The drop is about 3-4 feet. I have blown air through the pipe both ways and it seems fine. At first there seemed to be a clog. We had a couple large frogs that jumped into the other skimmer, but cleaned those out.

When I first opened the pool it was really dirty and full of leaves. I got most cleaned up and started filtering. There are two pumps and this one is seperate just for a waterfall. It did prime after filling with water first and then I left and came back a week later and it would not prime.

B

When you take the lid off the pump. There should be enough water to cover the impeller inlet, that will normally give enough prime. Is there an air bleeder on the filter after the pump? Have you tried opening that? I wonder if the impeller is clogged?

Also check the impeller inlet for something that may have stuck in there.

Also, blowing air into the lines is not a very good way to find a clog because air can easily travel through very tight spaces. Try back flushing from the pump to the skimmer using a garden hose wrapped in a wet rag.

But the issue sounds like either an impeller clog or a line clog.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.