De backwash valve stuck?

May 7, 2015
Sagamore Hills, OH
At the bottom of my filter is the backwash plug. 3 years ago I replaced that with a ball valve and hooked a backwash hose to make it easy to backwash. Shut off pump, open air valve, bump, open backwash valve to dispose of dirty de. Run pump for a little to clear extra gunk until water runs clear. I have done this for years. This year I had trouble opening the valve for backwash. I didn't force it so I got a pair of pliers and slowly tried to move it. It broke off and then 5 hours later after struggling to remove a broken valve bought another and replace it. Smooth sailing, I thought... Until I just tried normal backwash procedure and it is stuck again!!! What is happening !!!! Should I loosen bolts on filter ?? If I break another I will lose my mind.

I just fixed it. Incase anyone was wondering or maybe if someone has this problem in the future I will post the simple fix below.

Apparently when a lever with a ball valve is too tight and it won't turn with your hand or with an easy tug of a wrench (with the handle off obviously) all you need to do is loosen the hand tighten junction piece that is connecting the two parts slightly, maybe 1/8 of a turn. I had it too tight so there wasn't enough give to let the ball valve open and properly backwash the filter. Basically, I am too strong :) lol!

I also like to think that the pool gods smiled on me here because I just ordered my tf100 kit today. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.