Small Fortune

nochem

May 25, 2015
High Point NC
We bought a house in Oct.2013 and it came with a pool.Spent a fortune on it last year and never got it right.New pump and new sand this year and still not right.Had water tested and did what was required....didn't work,water was still green and no chlorine.So we tested again and they said we need 27 bags of shock to correct this problem "No Free Chlorine" well we put the shock in last night and at least the water is not green anymore,well with $120.00 worth of shock I guess it should be.But the water is still not clear and therefore we can not see to vacuum pool.So now whats next.Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated,since we are running out of money to throw at this.Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you had your water tested at a pool store. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate, plus it is a loss-leader designed to get you into the store so they can sell you all sorts of unneeded chemicals and get you dependent on them.

How much of that shock product did you add to the pool?

You are minutes away from taking the first step towards a sparkling, trouble-free pool. Take that first step by ordering one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 and ordered it from here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you will likely have it in your hands in 2-3 days depending on where you live. Plus, this kit would have cost you about half of what all that shock cost you.

Second, you will need to decide between pool store methods and ours - they cannot be combined. I would read the articles that pooldv mentioned in his post. I'll add a couple more:
  1. Chlorine CYA Chart - If you understand the relationship between chlorine and CYA, you will avoid most problems that plague pool owners who do not understand this relationship
  2. Pool Math - Will help you determine the proper dosage of chemicals based on your pool size and test results.

In the meantime, stop indiscriminately adding chemicals to the pool and order one of the test kits - it will save you $ and pay for itself by avoiding unnecessary chemicals and dosing in the proper amount.

If you have a leaf catcher with a deep net (leaf rake) use it to scoop up anything that may be on the bottom of your pool. You will have to scoop blind until the water clarity improves. Keep the filter running 24/7 .p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.