Staten Island New York
Just received my TF 100 in the mail today and did my first test:

FC 2.5
CH 250
CYA 100+ it was between 100 and the bottom of the tube
CL .5
PH 7.5 ( 7.58 with my PH meter )
TA 150

My water is very clear I opened my pool on 5/24/15 with 6 gals of liquid shock and adjusted the PH with 20 mule team borax.
Is there something I can do to get my numbers more on track or am I not too far off this is my first season using this method and I am looking forward to not seeing the pool store again.
I see the CYA is high but is it that critical I'm not looking forward to draining my water but if I have to it is what it is.
Thank you all in advance for what ever help I can get.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on getting the TF100, it's a great test.

The problem with the CYA result of 100 is that the test only tests to 100 and the level could be much higher than 100. It is best to do a partial drain of about 30% and retest CYA.

Reasonable CYA is important because the chlorine level is determined by the CYA level on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, with CYA over 100 the chlorine level has to be very high.

Unfortunately, CYA is only lowered when the pool water is changed - either by you or overtime via water change (rain, etc). Like Pooldv stated, you might find yourself going through a lot of chlorine just to keep-up with that CYA high level. Take a look at the Recommended Level link in my signature to get an idea of required FC. Others may provide opinions as well. Continue to ask if you still have questions.

Is it that critical to drain the water or can I just use higher chlorine levels and hope it drops over time. The water is very clear.

You can manage a high CYA level by maintaining a high chlorine level IF you know what your CYA level is. But, we do not know what your CYA level is because the test is only good to 100. It could be 200 or 300, we've seen it lots of times. You can try doing a diluted CYA test. It is quite bit less accurate. If you use half pool water and half tap water for the test and multiply the result times 2.

With CYA of 100 your target FC is 12, 200 is 24, 300 is 36. The real problem comes if you have to raise FC to shock level, 100 is 39, 200 is 78, 300 is 117.

I did a diluted cya test and came up with about 190 I guess I am going to be forced to empty half my pool and start over will i have to shock all over again? And can someone tell what was the cause of a high CYA so I don't have this happen again other than this my water is clear and the rest of my numbers are all in line.
FC 5
PH 7.5
CC .5

CYA gets into your pool most often from using pucks. They are 2/3 chlorine and 1/3 CYA. As the chlorine is consumed doing it's work, the CYA continues to accumulate with each puck you add.

There is also powdered "shock" that can contain CYA and you can overdose by putting CYA in your pool all by itself but these are not nearly as common as the pucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.