Store says Increase CH in vinyl pool

May 18, 2015
Sheridan AR
I have a vinyl pool my calcium hardness is only 70 I am being told to raise it because ideal 200 -400 and min.is 100 . they say if you don't it will eat up my ladders and any parts of metal in the pool is that correct. can anyone give the truth.

I have a vinyl pool my calcium hardness is only 70 I am being told to raise it because ideal 200 -400 and min.is 100 . they say if you don't it will eat up my ladders and any parts of metal in the pool is that correct. can anyone give the truth.

For vinyl pools, CH is largely irrelevant. 50 to 350 is fine for a vinyl pool, even higher is fine too. Lies, lies and ****ed lies. No reason to raise your CH.

Calcium hardness and the various saturation indices that are calculated using CH values (CSI and LSI) have absolutely nothing to do with metal corrosion. See this thread for a very detailed discussion. This is the money-quote (emphasis and abridgment added for brevity) -

These indices do nothing more than predict saturation of the water with calcium carbonate...... These indices do not predict metal corrosion whatsoever. When one refers to water being "corrosive" in terms of these indices, it is only in reference to the dissolving of calcium carbonate as a component of plaster (plaster is mostly calcium oxide in a hydrated silicate).

So the Pool Store is telling you a bunch of baloney about corrosion. And, as stated in the many replies, your CH is absolutely fine for a vinyl pool.

Last edited:
hummm... I trying to thing of something of something brilliant or dazzling to say, but its Saturday morning and I have to think too hard at work, so Im taking a break on thinking.
So, in regard to your vinyl pool needing CH, I will just say 'hogwash'!

Too bad you're so far away. You could come over with an empty bucket and get some of my pool water and raise the CH in your pool for free.

It might be interesting to note that auto manufacturers prefer there be no Calcium in the radiator coolant. And they deal with interesting combinations of iron, steel, brass, copper, and aluminum.

The pool store clerk is just following the preprinted guidelines. You need Calcium because people with plaster pools need Calcium and the pool store needs the sale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added calcium to my liner pool. Fill water was CH 20, so when water was balanced I still had a CSI of -1.11. The quoted article seems to discuss positive CSI values. I understand the need for calcium in a plaster pool, however, I had believed that the CSI was of some value when considering a vinyl pool and associated hardware. Is that not the case?

OK, got that, but maybe I need to ask this question, instead: "Is there any index to describe the aggressiveness of pool water towards metals, such as those found in pumps, filters, heaters, etc?"

See the link in my previous post. That thread has a detailed discussion of different indices and has some web links to external sites on corrosion of metal.

Problem with metal corrosion indices is that they are specific to different metals and their alloys and usually require the measurement of dissolved oxygen, sulfur compounds and other chemicals that one does not typically test for in pool water. They are also typically specific to closed water systems (steam boilers etc) and not open systems like pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.