electric codes not being followed and 6" concrete on rebar post

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
see a few posts down for electric posts:

the baja was cut short and the super said they'd make the baja the size it needs to be but i am wondering if it's ok to shoot 6" of gunite on rebar or does the rebar need to be added to the area so that they r only shooting 3" gunite on the area. i know the guys r tired of me telling them how to do their job but the super told me to get a new chair instead of having the baja how it was planned. grrr. they need to do it as planned and he said they will but my concern is that will it hold up without the extra rebar? thx!

Re: can u put 6" concrete on rebar on a vertical wall/baja shelf?

EDIT now that I understand your question. My shotcrete guy was here today telling me he could put a step in now, even though it was shot last Friday no problem. I've got to think doing what you need wouldn't be an issue.

The rebar encased in the gunite provides the structural integrity for the pool shell. It is perfectly acceptable to add more on top to achieve a certain depth. Seats and steps rarely have any rebar in them at all.

that's good to hear cuz they sure do things differently in AZ, less regulations... I'm from MA, where regs r very tight, and my brother is a licensed electrician who has taught electric for many years. He says from the pics i sent him Calpool did not put in a water bonder on the pool equipment along with he didn't see any new breakers in the breaker box and nothing was labeled. he started talking about how things need to be grounded and anything metal within 4 feet from the pool, i think he said... he phone was about to die so i'll have a better convo with him later and am willing to share what i find out!

another thing my brother mentioned that my pool builder and electrician do not seem to be aware of: would be nice to have and i may discuss at final payment with pool company: national electric code 680.22 says u must have an electric outlet no closer than 6 feet from pool and no further than 20 feet from the pool. this law makes sense due to human nature, people trying to push limits and stretch chords alongside a pool if there isn't a receptical in a convenient location. the electric chord or radio falls in the pool and there u have it, a potential electrocution.

also, he said u should exercise your gfi trip switch each mth or it can break more quickly, like any spring that doesn't get used...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.