How to measure chlorine levels of 15-20 ppm for shocking with bleach

I have a healthy crop of green algae in my 18,000 gallon plaster pool. I want to use bleach to shock. I've measured the CYA at 50, which according to the TFP table requires a chlorine level of 20 ppm. My Taylor test kit only reads levels up 5 ppm. How do you measure higher levels of chlorine?

You could calculate a dose of to reach the minimum shock level of 20ppm pretty easily with the pool math application. It won't stay at 20 long though with a growing crop of algae. The test kits are helpful, but at the start of your SLAM you will be chasing to keep chlorine above minimum SLAM level. Do you have any other issues? Leaves, dirt, etc?

Trying to perform the SLAM procedure without the FAS-DPD chlorine test is a bit like driving a car blindfolded, you may get where you are going, but there are likely to be a few bumps along the way and some unexplained dings when you get there.

If you have the Taylor K2005, then you are good with getting only the FAS-DPD,

if however you only have the Taylor K1000 which only measures FC to 5 and pH, and depending on the pool store to measure your CYA, then it would be best to replace the test kit you have, so that you can measure CYA, as well as all other water parmeters yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.