Ounces of CYA: "X" ounces by weight, or "X" ounces by volume. I'm confused.

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
Ounces of CYA: "X" ounces by weight, or "X" ounces by volume. I'm confused.

Per Pool Math:

Add 28 Oz by weight or 29 Oz by volume of stabilizer
or add of 73 Oz liquid stabilizer.
To lower CYA you replace of the water with new water.
Note: It can take solid stabilizer up to a week to dissolve. It will also lower your pH.

Ok. I have some dry CYA and a Pyrex glass measuring cup... or an empty Ranch Beans can that is "15 oz" of whatever.

So I'm wondering if by volumn means I can use 29 Fl Oz on my Pyrex measuring cup? Or not. Or use the baking measuring cups you use like for flour, etc. when baking.

I confess I'm kind of a "bean can" kind of guy...

Thanks in advance...

Re: Ounces of CYA: "X" ounces by weight, or "X" ounces by volume. I'm confused.

This is why I hate the imperial system... liquid ounces versus fluid ounces.

Only use the fluid ounces on a measuring cup if your product is liquid. If it's a solid, use weight.

You should actually use weight when baking as well... but recipes usually aren't designed that way and rely on uniform density for consistency, which sometimes fails.

Volume is volume ... the measuring cup should be fine. Although going by weight is likely more accurate.

My problem is that I don't have a scale... other than a bathroom scale.

Didn't see your post jb... I feel safe going with 1 each, 15 oz bean cans' full - which is probably drained liquid dry weight of wet beans... LOL

It's a 14K pool, so that should be close enough.

Well, you need just shy of 2 pounds. How big is your container of CYA? If 4 pounds ... add roughly half. Does not need to be exact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.