Structural question

I'm not an expert, but if there's no steel on the Baja shelf, how did they electrically bond that area? I have to assume it passed the Pre Gunite inspection. Also, in the overall build cost, steel is not that expensive. You're talking about $60 in steel.

That will not be an issue. The rebar is typically centered in 8-12 inches of gunite/shotcrete. Any additional that was placed on top of that is solely to achieve a shallower depth (much like your situation). Steps and seats in pools and spas rarely have (or need) any steel in them since these areas are not structural and are more for convenience/appearance.

Agreed, that it should be fine. Our bottom step is attached to the sun shelf and is probably 8' long has no rebar. It is all within and on a fully rebarred (made that word up) shell and floor.

our Baja is 6 inches short on one of the walls of our Baja step. I wonder if it matters for a vertical wall? seems like it'd be easier for a horizontal plain. anyone remember how the shotcrete held in place? is it just thick enough concrete? or do they form it with boards?

Shotcrete typically has a 2" slump which means it is a very dry mix and is nearly self supporting. In your situation they will most likely shoot the wall, let it set up for 30 mins or so, and then hit it again to bring it to the final thickness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.