Question: Polaris p955 or Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner?

TNova

May 28, 2015
Framingham
All...

I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding which automatic pool cleaner I should purchase. I found the other threads helpful, but figured I'd just ask directly. I have a newly resurfaced gunite pool ~16 x 36 kidney (free form) shape with integrated spa. 27,000 gallons give or take, with a DE filter. I've never owned a robotic and with all the tree debris in my area, I was sick and tired of vacuuming by hand every other day.

My online research got very confusing. There are so many models that all seem to be the same (like the mattress industry). Even a few pages that claim they've figured it out (The Truth About Pool Cleaners: What Your Pool Store Isn’t Telling You | Sunplay) seem to fall a little short.

So I went to the local Leslie's and the guy there spoke eloquently enough about the Polaris p955. Recommended it over the Dolphin. Another local pool store couldn't rave more about the Dolphin (Edge) and had nothing positive to say about the Polaris and just stated he would never sell "junk".

So I ask, does anyone have any head-head data?

Polaris Concerns:
  • On the youtube videos that I've seen, it appears to kick up a lot of dirt on the bottom of the pool. I haven't seen that on the Dolphin.
Polaris 9550/955 Robotic Pool Cleaner Review Field Test - YouTube (2:35 mark)
  • Whether or not it will clean the tile line effectively
  • Overall longevity

Dolphin Concerns:
  • The size of the filter and how much it can suck up before it needs to be cleaned out.
  • Track vs wheels
  • not sold locally (at least the not the Oasis model - only the Edge)

I appreciate any and all help!

I'm also looking at both of these, for the day my Dolphin DX-4 dies. The issues I've had with our Dolphin cleaner are:

• It's in its 3rd year, and I've replaced the power supply three times.
  • The power supply may be sensitive to the elements; I've not had it fail since wrapping it in a cover designed for a smoker.
  • The Dolphin gets "stuck" on our pool's main drains...it spins around on them for 5 minutes or more before getting free and moving around the pool again.
  • I don't like the bottom bag on the Dolphin...a bit of a pain to remove/clean/replace.
  • The Dolphin's remote control hasn't worked since the first year.

I like the looks of the Polaris unit, and the fact it can be emptied from the top. Not sure yet if the lack of a swivel on the cord will be an issue or not.

I will follow this thread for other opinions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.