Pour New Concrete Pad for Paver Install? Prevent Sinking?

One of the better pool builders that I've contacted to install my IGP, recommended that I install a 4" concrete slab before the paver installation. He said that all pavers will eventually sink. The only way to prevent them from sinking is pouring a 4" concrete slab and installing the pavers on top of the concrete. However, another pool builder said that doing this will create a mold and mildew issue because the pavers will not drain properly.

Any suggestions would be great!

IMHO, putting concrete under pavers makes for an expensive deck.
Pavers or Travertine is usually laid on a compacted base with a 6" layer of stabilized sand compacted on top, then topped with a little loose sand.
After laying a polymer sand is swept into cracks and watered in.

Inevitably, even with good preparation, you will get some pavers that will sink a little.
This is easily fixed by poping out the pavers, breaking up the stabilized sand, recompacting and levelling, then re-lay pavers.

This form of deck is very forgiving because you can come back later and lift it to lay an extra conduit under it for instance.

Other than the cost of putting a deck under your deck, you had better put everything you could possible need in the ground under the slab, cause going back later is not pretty.

Mold, mildew, first I have heard of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.