Prep Work for (Late) Closing

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
We will finally be having our pool closed within the next week. Going to confirm exact date tomorrow with delivery date of safety cover. I am going to balance the water though, he will clean/store equipment, blow out lines, add anti-freeze and put cover on.

Since the water temp is 55 degrees, is it still necessary to shock? We are going to use non-chlorine shock only b/c we have a dark liner and do not want to "chance it".

I also have the polyquat60, when would I add this? The night b/f the guy comes to close the pool and circulate for how many hours?

Which steps do I take first and when?

Here are my water readings from yesterday.....should any numbers be adjusted now?

Water Temp 55 degrees
CL 4.5
Ph 7.6-7.7
TA 95-100

The following readings were done earlier this month and I am fairly confident although they may have changed slightly, they do not have a huge impact on closing the pool.
CH 210-220 (done on 10/20)
CYA 70 (done on 10/3)

I have to thank all of the contributing members on TFP for a successful summer. Although we had issues with our pb and electrician, everyone was extremely helpful and some even used their connections to get the help I needed, although at times I think I needed mental health help from a close to nervous breakdown..lol. As a new and first time pool owner, I was the most nervous about algae. Never once did I have an issue!! I only took my pool water to be tested twice for "ha-ha's" and didn't trust the results anyway. The testkit and the pool calculator are the only way to go!!

As much as I will miss our pool, I am going to take a much needed break and not think about it for a few months..lol.

Thanks everyone!

The only benefit to non-chlorine shock would be to get rid of combined chlorine. Have you tested that?

I'd wait until after the pool level has been dropped to add the polyquat so you're not wasting any. Just brush the pool up a bit once it's added.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.