Newbie needing help with dark green pool

Sep 20, 2014
NY
Hi. Basically I have an AG pool, 15'x26' which got a liner replacement at the end of last season. It was filled with water, and I tried to educated myself about pool chemicals and all, but to make a long story short, nothing went in it except for a little chlorine, and it went through the winter covered only by a leaf net. I removed the net a month ago, and the water was dark green but otherwise looked clear expect for sediment and debris at the bottom of the pool. It has gotten greener and murkier with algae floating on the surface, and I discovered two dead squirrels in it. I've removed the squirrels and cleared out any large debries I could see.

Now I'm torn about the order in which to start. Old filter is bad so I have a brand new Hayward DE filter that I want to hook up. It seems to me that I should prepare and hook up the filter and pump first, then afterwards adding chemicals to achieve appropriate pH, then lastly to start the SLAM process. Am I correct or should I be doing things in a different order?

Welcome to TFP! Let's try to get you on-track with a few things:
1 - Do you have your own test kit? If not, we strongly urge you to obtain one of TFP's recommended kits (I.e. TF-100 link below) to read accurate numbers. Do NOT reply on the pool store.
2 - Please update your profile signature with all of your pool info since others will want to see that so they can give you good advice.
3 - Without test readings, there's a lot of guessing, but essentially you want to: a. get pump running (24/7); b. start SLAM right away (use ONLY regular bleach); c. give us all accurate test readings; d. read-up on the links below to get acquainted with basic TFP principles.

If you don't have your own kit, please consider purchasing one as recommended. Welcome, and keep checking this thread since others will have plenty of advice as well.

Hi, actually I do have a new test kit, don't remember which one but it was one of the ones recommended on this site. SO basically I should hook up the filter and pump, then update this post with pH level then start SLAM?

That's correct. Get circulation going 24/7, "SLAM" to get your FC at its required "higher" level, and continue to brush, sweep, and scoop any goo and critters out of the pool to help the SLAM work more efficiently. Once you're in the SLAM process, keep checking FC frequently (especially for the first couple days) as I expect your pool will eat-up that new bleach (chlorine) during the initial battle. Good luck!

That's correct. Get circulation going 24/7, "SLAM" to get your FC at its required "higher" level, and continue to brush, sweep, and scoop any goo and critters out of the pool to help the SLAM work more efficiently. Once you're in the SLAM process, keep checking FC frequently (especially for the first couple days) as I expect your pool will eat-up that new bleach (chlorine) during the initial battle. Good luck!

Ok thank you. Will get started hopefully this week and come back with an update.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.