My Saga and questions related..

Aug 21, 2014
Wendell, ID
I'm a new pool owner and forum member. We started construction last January (2014) and have had nothing but problems with the process and builder - so much so that we have now had to resort to legal action.

It started with the simplest thing - they mis-measured the layout of the pool four times. This normally wouldn't be too big of a deal, but we had to dig through 8 feet of rock, so a mis-measurement meant lots more money. I won't go into all the details at this point, but the end result is plumbing in the wrong locations, a leak (part of my question), multiple cover failures, the list goes on.

Right now my question deals with chemistry and water loss.

The pool is a 20' x 45' and goes from about 3 feet to 8.5 feet deep, with a pebble sheen finish. Since it was originally filled last June it has lost anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1.5 inches of water per day. They did come out once and found a leak in the main drain and a broken light conduit which where both plugged. That only slowed the leak.

Over memorial day I had to drain and acid wash the pool (long story there too) and upon filling it (finished Tuesday) I've been keeping detailed records on water loss, temperature, FC, etc.

I've made a mark on the tile line that is about 2 inches from the top of the tile as my starting point each time. I started my record keeping on Wednesday afternoon when water level was at 1.875 inches from the top. This morning at 6:30 am the water level had dropped to 3.125 inches from the top or 1.25 inches of water loss in about 40 hours. The pool has been uncovered and heated this whole time, so I understand there will be some evaporation, but I don't think it would be near that much. Temperatures have ranged from high 40s to low 80s over this stretch of time and the water temperature rose from about 65 to 87 during this time as well. Thoughts?

Next to chemistry - the inline chlorinator has never seemed to add enough chlorine, even turned all the way up. I have been supplementing with liquid bleach to maintain the FC as best as possible, but it's a difficult task when I'm putting in nearly 3,000 gallons of fresh water per week. CYA is usually nill due to all the fresh water going in - I just added 16 pounds today that should bring it up to around 50 ppm if I'm correct.

So I think I know the answers to my questions, but I'm asking anyway.

I guess my question is, am I crazy or missing something obvious? I'm constantly adding bleach and have the chlorinator all the way up in order to even keep the FC around 3 ppm. So far each morning when measured it's barely been 0.5 ppm.

I'm hoping to have the cover fixed very soon which will help with chlorine loss from sun and nearly eliminate evaporation (at least when covered).

Any suggestions?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That water loss sounds excessive. You should do a bucket test to confirm, but i do not think it is from evaporation. I think you need to have the builder out to fix whatever is broken.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the chemistry.
With very low CYA levels, the FC will be lost to the sun very quickly. Now that you have added CYA, you should be able to maintain the FC level with bleach.

What test kit are you using?

Wow, that's terrible that you're having to deal with this, especially on a pool that large. It's really scary that a brand new pool would have a leak in the floor drain, as well as a broken light conduit, plus another unknown leak. That is some serious incompetence on the part of the pool builder and his subs.

If you're willing to do some experiments, you can narrow down the leak.

Tell your kids that the pool is off-limits for a week. Boost the chlorine, let it mix for a while. Then turn off the pump. Add more chlorine each day as needed, and brush to mix it in.

1. Does the pool stop losing water as soon as the pump is turned off?
2. Does the pool stop losing water as soon as the water level drops below the skimmer?
3. Does the pool stop losing water as soon as the water level drops below the return jets?
4. etc.

I'm over by Seattle, and on really hot days with the pool cover off, I can lose a little more than 1/4" due to evaporation. My typical loss is a little more than 1/4" per week.

Such a shame you're having all those problems. But welcome! Well, I'll chime-in only for the chemistry part ... Do what I did to my in-line chlorinator .. empty it and turn it off. :) Stick to liquid bleach only. It's cheap and has very little residual effects on your water. BIG question .. how (or with what kit) are you testing your water? Everyone will want to know. If you aren't using a TFP-recommended kit (i.e. TF-100 linked below) please consider doing so. You are correct - without CYA, chlorine was probably getting used right away. Stabilizer (CYA) takes a while to record on your CYA tests, so give it a few days and check again. Again, welcome!

Yes, I have the TF-100 test kit. I will be doing the bucket test next - but we were seeing drops of 1/4 - 1/2 inch with the pool covered which would have eliminated 95+ % of evaporation.

We've given up on the builder and not allowed them back having since filed suit against them.

Tomborg - I ran through all those tests last summer, but need to do it again and will begin those shortly. Such a long boring waste of good swimming season! It's also very hard to tell a 2, 7 and 9 year old they can't swim for a week :thumbdown:, but have to figure this out I guess.

The builder even neglected to secure the diving board properly. It fell apart into the water last summer when my 15 year old nephew jumped off!

Texas Splash - with little to no CYA would the chlorine disappear within a matter of hours (6-7) even with no use of the pool? I'm hoping right now that the chlorinator is at least putting something in the water to help me with the chlorine as I'm not able to babysit it all day everyday.

Also - the pool is a little over 40,000 gallons. Adding the 16 pounds of stabilizer should have put the CYA up to between 40 - 50 ppm. If I'm replacing close to 3,000 gallons per week, about how long before that CYA is gone and I have to add more?

So I returned home after being gone for about 9.5 hours. The pool lost 7/8 of an inch of water during that time. It's somewhat random.

Date Time Level from Top of Tile (inches)
27-May 2:00 PM Added water to level
27-May 2:00 PM 1.875
28-May 6:15 AM 2.25
28-May 8:00 AM 2.25
28-May 5:30 PM 2.5
28-May 10:45 PM 2.75
29-May 6:30 AM 3.125
29-May 1:00 PM Added water - 2.0
29-May 10:30 PM 2.875

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.