2015 Dolphin Triton Plus 1st Impressions (Updated with Pics!!!)

dsc888

May 19, 2015
Boston, MA
Hey Folks,

So after much head scratching, I decided to go with a Dolphin Triton Plus. I ordered from PoolZoom which got the unit to me in about a weeks time. I've only had 24 hour experience with it so far so I plan on updating after I've used it for a while. To begin, I have a 32x16 in-ground with a vinyl liner with some tricky 45 degree angled side walls and 3 steps with only 1 waterline skimmer and no bottom drains. Here in the Northeast, pool season is only about 3 months. I have plenty of oak, maple and elm trees around my yard so plenty of stuff fall in unfortunately.

I went with the Triton Plus because it has Extra Large Filters, Top Loading Filter Doors, Dual Motors, Basic Remote, Caddy and Weekly Timer. It only has a 2 year warranty but I did buy it with my Discover Card which extends the warranty by another year.

Here are some observations:

>Packaging wasn't the greatest by Dolphin...Wished they had used foam in the box to better protect plastic parts. Only the caddy, caddy accessories and manuals were in bags. Shipping mishaps can happen but luckily mine was fine.
>As everybody said here, the instructions were pitiful! A small booklet would have been great.

Pros:

+Cleaned my pool with lots of sediment extremely well after 3 full cycles.
+Turns on a dime with the split wheels.
+Can't believe how easy it is to access and clean the filters.
+Remote is nice but does take a little getting used to.
+Virtually silent when working
+Nice to have both Spring and Ultra Clean Filters
+Picked up tons of sand, inch worms, and dead algae that I couldn't see from above.

Cons:

-Filter Full Indicator ON only after 20 minutes and there's not a ton of junk in the filters but will run till end of cycle just fine (read that many M4 and M5 owners also had this issues....? reality and limitation of Robotic Cleaners)
-Won't climb up 90 degree vertical wall at all once there is a limited crud in the filters after 20 minutes (Read some owners fixed with use of only SINGLE filter or added FOAM). It will climb just fine once filters are all clean. It does much better with the more porous Spring Filters installed.
-Wished the Pro remote was included (I picked up a used one off eBay per recommendation here to get the delayed cleaning and customized cleaning options)
-One tread will spin faster than the other when it is stuck in 90 degree at bottom of wall with low suction. (Perhaps it thinks it's at the waterline and this is how it pulls itself sideways?) I noted that it drives perfectly straight otherwise so hope it's not a drive motor issue.
-Not so sure about the Intelliscan thing as the robot just seems to randomly of about it's work and seems to miss a few spots on the shallow end at the beginning.

This is just a 1st impressions review. This is my 1st ever robotic cleaner so I have lots to learn. Any and all feedback are appreciated to any of my questions and assumptions above.

David in Boston

Re: 2015 Dolphin Triton Plus 1st Impressions

UPDATE!!!

So after posting my 1st impression, I decided to run my Triton Plus without either filter cartridge and the thing stuck like glue to the walls. So it seemed that the silt, sand and bugs caught might have been the reason why it wasn't climbing. So I ran it for another 2 more full cleaning cycles and noted that less and less sand and silt was cleaned out of the cartridges And this morning, my Triton was climbing walls to the waterline all the way through the entire cleaning cycle! So it seems my Dolphin is definitely more of a device to keep a clean pool in pristine condition.

The Full Filter light came on and just needed me to hit the Reset button and it has not come on since.

Yes, I should have been a bit more patient before posting my 1st impression. I'm eagerly waiting to try out the Pro remote I ordered. All in all, I am super pleased with my purchase and feel that I made a good choice.

Review is good..... When I read the words first impressions, I expect what you posted. Only better thing to add would be pictures. For some reason I like visual impressions, along with the other 99% of the people on this board.

Great Review on your cleaner!
I wouldnt be without mine. It sure does free up a lot of time that used to be spent with the vacuum, and as you mention, after a couple times around the pool, its just pristine!

Here you go folks! She's a climber...finally :) Last pic shows her handy work after 3 complete cycles. Sorry it isn't more detailed. But I cleaned out tons of sand, silt, leaves, and worms.

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

UPDATE #2

Now that it's been a week since I got my Triton Plus, I thought I share a few more thoughts:

1) Now that sand is no longer being picked up into the filter, it has climbed the walls to the waterline without issues.

2) My pool has never looked more pristine and I find that I only have to brush the ladders and certain tight corners and steps where the robot can't get to.

3) I still use the Spring Filters as they clog less and still seem to get all the fine sediment including dead algae remnants.

4) Suction is very good as I've seen it hold itself right in front of my return jets that tries to push it away from the wall when it is cleaning the water line.

***I got my open box Pro Remote from eBay and it WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! I played with the clean mode and watched as it only scrubbed walls and waterline when I set it to that setting. One nice benefit is when I set it to the Extended Clean Cycle that makes it run a 3.5 hour cycle instead of the preprogrammed 2.5 hour cycle. I noticed that it was more thorough and often cleaned in overlapping swaths at times INSTEAD of randomly running all over the pool. I didn't see this occur before I had the Pro Remote. It seems the programming is in either the robot or the power supply and it Pro remote just makes it available now. Perhaps Dolphin makes all chips the same in the robot/power supplies and off the features by either giving you a Basic or Pro remote and with different buttons on the power supply. It's just a guess.

David in Boston

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.