Newbie question re replacing the PSI meter

brauh01

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2012
Yardley, PA
Ordered the PSI replacement gauge from the site. Received in good order. It's certainly more substantial than my OEM gauge. I have never taken apart my filter as I have a service open and close the pool. So my question is: do I truly only need a wrench and plumbers tape? Or is there a nut inside the top of the filter that I also have to consider? :scratch: I'd hate to unscrew the existing and then learn I should have un-assembled the unit!
Thanks in advance.

Bill

Its rare to find any fitting on the inside of a fulter that prevents you from quickly replacing the pressure gauge. Just use a good amount of teflon tape on the threads and screw it in by hand. Besides, its not a big deal to open the filter unless its a bump style hayward de filter.

Bill, If it's like almost all filters, the gauge will simply unscrew with your hands.....it'll be snug but should come off rather easilu.

Then, simply take the new gauge, using 2-3 wraps of teflon tape, and screw it right in by hand. Snug again but not so tight you feel you are having to use great force.

Well that was easily done.
Follow up note - label directions on the gauge to "pull and re-insert" the top pin to assure accuracy was interesting and a bit unexpected. Not clear when to put the brass pin back, but concluded it was after a small amount of glycerin was done coming out of the pin's hole.
Follow up question - given the glycerin and heavy winters, do I need to remove the gauge as part of the winterization process? (I could put the old gauge back in for the winter).
Bill

Reinsert that brass pin right away. The idea behind it is to equalize your pressure. If your gauge ever reads anything but zero with the pump off, use the pin again and it will go back to zero or "calibrate". The glycerin that leaked out is harmless.

The glycerin protects the gauge down to about 4 below zero (f). Here in the South, we good ole' boys can leave the gauge out with no problem. -4 is probably not quite low enough for y'all so I think I would remove yours NLT December.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.