Water is clear, chemicals are a mess can't fix

May 29, 2015
Buffalo NY
New house to me with an in ground vinyl liner pool, 40,000 gallons. Opened it two weeks ago and water was clean and clear, I have a Hayward automatic chlorine and use 3" pucks. Took water to my pool supply store three times now results have not changed . Fcl .6 tcl .6 ph 6.4 alk 40 ch 150 was the figures yesterday. This is post 30 pounds alk plus, 15 pounds ph plus. I just added 2 gallons liquid chlorine and 5 boxes of borax. My current self test using the pro 7 kit is fcl 6.60 tcl 8.42 ph 6.5 alk 63 ch 56 cya 116 so far this clear water has cost me 200 plus and I can't seem to get any numbers to change to what's needed. Please help have a de filter that I back washed again today and recharged.

Welcome to TFP!

My first suggestion in order for us to help you is that you need to get a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 linked in my signature or the Taylor K2006. You get more bang for your buck with the TF100.

In Pool School please read through the ABC's of pool water chemestry and recommended
levels.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Getting Started

What does your water look like right now? You can post a pic by uploading it to photobucket then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Stay out of the pool store also. Do not buy anything from them except liquid chlorine.

Don't add anything else to your pool other than liquid chlorine. Until you get your test kit.

Use the pool math tab to figure out what to add. Your CYA is probably wrong, but you could do a partial water change to help lower it as it is too high.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

- - - Updated - - -

Also remove the pucks as this is likely adding to your high CYA.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Since your pH reads too low, you might consider raising it to the mid-7's. The problem is we have to assume that pH test is correct......my guess is it is because it came from different sources.

Format your text next time you post so your numbers are easier to read. It's difficult right now.

For now lets assume that your test results are correct, however as stated above it is recommended that you get one of the recommended test kits.

The first thing you should know is that the 3" pucks are most likely adjusting 3 different chemicals all at the same time.
They are most likely increasing your FCL (like you want), however they are also most likely lowering your PH and raising your CYA.

One of the great things about the methods taught on this site is that you want to adjust one chemical at a time (and know how it will impact your pool) or have complete understanding how the things you do add to your pool impact your pool chemistry.

Also one of the most important things to understand is the relationship between CYA and FCL.

Assuming that your CYA is correct and measures 116 you will want your FCL level to be above 7 at all times and preferrably at 12 at all times.

A CYA of 116 is higher than is recommended, which is around 40 for a non salt pool. I would recommend doing a partial drain to bring your CYA levels closer to the recommended range, however if this is not an option you will want to add 2.5 gallons of 8.5% bleach to bring your FCl levels up to the recommended 12.

Note 1: This is one of the reasons why the recommended test kit is needed as it can accurately measure fcl above 5.
Note 2: The recommended CYA of 40 will give you a target FCL of 5 which the max most standard test kits can measure, but a SLAM level of fcl 16.

Once you have gone through pool school and understand the chemistry of your pool and how to adjust each one individually you will have a much easier and cheaper time maintaining your pool.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions you have.

For example you can raise your PH by running the water feature such as waterfall if your pool has one instead of buying PH Up products.

I'm currently doing home testing with a lamotte color Q pro 7. I'm unaware what digital unit the pool store uses. Currently the water looks great, very clear as it had been since I opened the pool. I will remove the puck chlorine, and go to liquid as recommended. The pool store test have all been the same and when I questioned the lack of change in ph, they also manually tested it so I believe the number to be accurate. I have had pools before and understand doing things one at a time. This pool just won't respond.

Realdeal008, you will find that many TFP'ers here would love nothing more to assist you to get those levels where they need to be. Even though you may feel the pool store and/or your current kit provide decent readings, the TFP experts have learned that is not the case. I learned the hard way as well, trying all of their products and gimmicks for months. Obtaining one of the kits recommended by the others above will make you a believer in not only how accurate YOUR testing will be, but provide you with lasting results and minimal maintenance saving you BIG $$$ down the road.

Realdeal008, you will find that many TFP'ers here would love nothing more to assist you to get those levels where they need to be. Even though you may feel the pool store and/or your current kit provide decent readings, the TFP experts have learned that is not the case. I learned the hard way as well, trying all of their products and gimmicks for months. Obtaining one of the kits recommended by the others above will make you a believer in not only how accurate YOUR testing will be, but provide you with lasting results and minimal maintenance saving you BIG $$$ down the road.

Sorry if I came across as knowing it all, wasn't my intention. I just wanted to describe what I was using currently. I will order the recommended kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!

My first suggestion in order for us to help you is that you need to get a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 linked in my signature or the Taylor K2006. You get more bang for your buck with the TF100.

In Pool School please read through the ABC's of pool water chemestry and recommended
levels.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Getting Started

What does your water look like right now? You can post a pic by uploading it to photobucket then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Stay out of the pool store also. Do not buy anything from them except liquid chlorine.

Don't add anything else to your pool other than liquid chlorine. Until you get your test kit.

Use the pool math tab to figure out what to add. Your CYA is probably wrong, but you could do a partial water change to help lower it as it is too high.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

- - - Updated - - -

Also remove the pucks as this is likely adding to your high CYA.

Wow. I did not know that. I have using the Chlorine pucks for three years now. I suppose my pool is full of CYA- I have a 30,000 gallon one.

There is no way to get rid of CYA except to replace the water- or remove enough to dilute it down.

Or is there?

Realdeal008, your replies were worded just fine. :) No worries at all. We're all poking-around on the site because we enjoy helping others the same way someone helped us when we first found TFP. Hope our tips and methods are productive and help you to have a happy swimming season. If you have any other questions .. just ask.

Wow. I did not know that. I have using the Chlorine pucks for three years now. I suppose my pool is full of CYA- I have a 30,000 gallon one.

There is no way to get rid of CYA except to replace the water- or remove enough to dilute it down.

Or is there?

No, unfortunately there is not. Don't feel alone, we have hundreds of new people every year that come here with that same issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.